"When are you going to stop losing weight?"

Smile_and_nod
on 6/12/16 6:24 pm
VSG on 01/18/16

Ok this might be more of a rant... I'm 5 months post op down 62lbs since surgery (gastric sleeve) and 115lbs down in total. I walk everyday. I stick to the bariatric diet most days.... taking all my vitamins most days of the week. Ok if I hike 10 miles some times I eat ice cream at the end of the day. I haven't lost any hair and I have actually started building muscle. I am very happy with my results but I have no set goal of what I want my weight to be. This is the lowest it has ever been in my life (highest 275-280). I'm 5'2" wight 157lbs. I am still losing some each week and I am happy with that. Im getting comfortable with my size but I am also ok loosing a few more. Heck I am actually looking forward to loosing my arm flaps when the time is right and maybe a few skin rolls on my stomach. 

What I am finding so frustrating are all the comments from co-workers and family of "So how much more do you plan to loose. You have lost so much already". "Its not safe to loose THAT much weight" (Umm it is and I am followed by medical providers... which is none of your business. Plus I dunno having HTN at 30 wasn't healthy) "Soon you are going to be skinnier than me if you keep loosing" (why? is that a problem?). "Haven't you reached your goal weight YET?".... well, no. I don't know what my goal weight is. I want to be healthy. I am loving my more active life style and if I loose more that is fine with me. What I don't get is why does it matter to them? This was a choice I made about me and my body and I am loving it. 

Here is me before and after (hiking up steps on part of The Great Wall of China!)

Kelly L.
on 6/12/16 7:32 pm

Wow, you look great and have done a tremendous job of losing weight!  I don't know what my ending goal weight will be either.   Just tell them your dr says you can lose more if you want!

Smile_and_nod
on 6/12/16 8:00 pm
VSG on 01/18/16

I like that response! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/12/16 9:08 pm

In business - work - even friends, what worked for me was individual aproach

When someone made a comment like that. I often took them to a side and told them

"It makes me very uncomfortable when you discuss my weight or my size in private or in public. It is unprofesional (/not very kind/offensive - pick one..) when you coment my on my appearance..and body weight. PLEASE DONT DO THAT" 

For nasty people - some that would be really obnoxious and would not stop...I would say the same thing and add: how would you feel if I asked you when you stop gaining weight? The let 5 lbs really show on you...the fat is going to kill you one day"?

If the first did not shut the up..the last normally did... I rarely had to do that... But it was 3 ocasion I did...

"

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Laura in Texas
on 6/13/16 8:16 am

I love this. My sil, who is insanely jealous and used to be the thinner one, loves to tell me I look terrible and need to stop losing weight. I would not have the guts to say this to her, but I can think it and smile. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Smile_and_nod
on 6/13/16 6:38 pm
VSG on 01/18/16

I know! I love them. I don't think I would be so bold to say them but I like thinking about saying them. Maybe one day I will have had enough and finally snap them out. 

P.S. You look amazing! 

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/16 3:28 pm

Laura, you look amazing!!!! 

Neesie57
on 6/12/16 11:58 pm, edited 6/14/16 1:12 am
VSG on 08/04/15

You are beautiful, and you will know your goal weight when you get to it.  My doctor wanted my goal weight to be 150, but I thought it was too high, so I changed it to "under 140".  Today, I weighed 138.8, so will be starting maintenance as soon as I talk to my doctor about it tomorrow.  You can always change your goal weight down the road, if you are not happy with.  It's wonderful to know that I can decide for myself how thin I want to be, as long as I'm healthy.

BTW, my least favorite comment from people is, "You are wasting away!"  I hate it, hate it, hate it.  Wasting away suggests sickness to me, and I'm the farthest from sick that I have ever been.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Smile_and_nod
on 6/13/16 12:19 am
VSG on 01/18/16

I've heard that one too and I hate it! Thank you! 

Boxerlover3452
on 6/13/16 8:44 am
RNY on 06/06/16

I would tell them that you WERE wasting away when you were eating all the food that made you GAIN weight.  Now you're eating very healthy and tell them "that kind of wasting away" you can live with.  Smile, smile, smile and show off some new outfits.  Twirl around and dance. 

Most Active