Huge stall

Desiree F.
on 7/30/16 8:54 pm - Varina, IA
RNY on 04/06/16

I haven't lost even one pound in 35 days I will be 4 months post-op next week.  I have severe chronic pain so I'm not as active as I want to be.  My nutritionist said I wasn't eating enough.  I was getting around 400-600 calories a day.  I have boosted it to around 800 calories for a week now and still nothing.  

Ladytazz
on 7/30/16 11:24 pm

Why do all nutritionists say to eat more when you aren't losing weight?  Starvation mode is a myth but when people do eat more they lose weight.  And if they don't eat more they lose weight.  That is why it is called a stall.

I'm not saying you can't eat more.  400-600 is pretty low for 4 months.  But it won't break a stall any more then eating a donut will (a popular myth when I was newly post op in 2002).  Not that I didn't enjoy it but any weight I lost after that was purely coincidental and not due to the donut.

First I am going to ask the obvious.  Are you tracking every bite that goes in your mouth?  No hidden bites here or there?  If so then just keep doing what you are doing.  Don't be afraid to increase your calories but don't expect it to be the miracle answer.

No lost weight in a month is not unheard of.  I have seen many people who went a month or more without losing a pound and still go on to lose all their excess weight.  Some people only lose weight one week out of a month.  That was my pattern before menopause.  I would lose a big chuck of weight after my period, stay stable or bounce up and down a few pounds for a few weeks, maybe gain a bit for a week and then have another big loss.  Knowing my pattern helped me cope with those weeks without any loss.

And the other obvious question is are you taking measurements?  Many people lose lots of inches when they are not actively losing.  Bodies are weird things.  If not seeing a loss week after week bothers so a lot get rid of the scale and resolve to only weigh at the doctors or some other place so  you aren't jumping on the scale every hour to see if your hard work has paid off yet.  It will.  You just have to have faith.

You aren't going to be the only person in the world who eats under 1000 calories a day and not lose weight.  It is pretty much physically impossible to maintain obesity on less than 1000 calories a day no matter what you hear.  Air does not have calories and if you take in less calories then you burn then you will lose weight.  And I am pretty sure you aren't the exception to the rule and you surely burn more than 1000 calories a day.  So you will lose weight.

Patience is the key and if you are like me you aren't big on the patience department.  I want it and I want it now.

Ditch the scale and go by your clothes for a while and have faith that if you keep doing what you are doing it will pay off.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/31/16 3:50 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Everything that Lady Tazz said. Perfect response.

Don'the eat more. More is what got us to morbid obesity.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 7/31/16 6:05 am

I agree with Ladytazz. What exactly are you eating? Let us know and maybe we can try to give you some tips.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Desiree F.
on 7/31/16 7:51 am - Varina, IA
RNY on 04/06/16

Thank you so much.  I did take measurements last month so I need to do it again to see.  I have been replacing one meal with a kirkland protein bar which I felt had good values.  It's 21g of protein, 1g of sugar and 14get fiber, net carbs of 4g, 190 calories.  Then I usually have grilled chicken or turkey breast for dinner with a tiny bit of potato or pasta.  Snack is usually low fat cottage cheese with pretzel thins.   I heard some people say I shouldn't eat a protein bar all the time.  Itso easy to get that protein in on the go.

chassibi
on 8/1/16 4:56 am

I would probably take away the potato and pasta, even if it's only a tiny bit. Also the pretzel thins. At least until you reach goal.

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

sheriberi29
on 8/1/16 5:31 am - Cleveland, TN

Cut the potato, pasta and pretzels ... If you have room after your portion fill your pouch with green veg. Just my advice

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

SkinnyScientist
on 8/1/16 6:00 am

I would try to cut any salt too. Seriously, water retention hides weight loss. Cottage cheese and pretezels are LOADED with salt. Seriously, no salt cottage cheese is by far one of the grossest things I have put in my mouth so if your cottage cheese tastes good there is salt in there.

Unless you a diabetic, I repeat what others have said, lose the potato and pasta.

So what are you supposed to eat?  If you are cleared for veggies, how about some grilled or sauteed sweet red pepper? Grilled zuicchini or yellow summer squash (you chop them into coin shapes  (i.e. rounds)) are so good too.

Baked/braised radish in a vinegar sauce actually tastes sweet and not horse raddish hot. 

HOw about stir fried bokchoy? 

Broccoli and cauliflower (steamed) are also common "go-tos' for me but I definitely feel the radishes are the most "gourmet" option. I like it cuz that shade of red doesnt often show up on plates. They are pretty to look at.

You can cut the salt and season with some adobo and other spices.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

White Dove
on 7/31/16 12:25 pm - Warren, OH

Your ticker says 93 pounds lost.  If you did that in three months, it is no wonder your body is taking a break.  The first hundred or so comes off pretty quickly.  The next hundred takes longer and more effort. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Desiree F.
on 8/1/16 10:53 am - Varina, IA
RNY on 04/06/16

Great advice everyone I will cut out those extra carbs and lower my salt intake starting today.  I can have veggies now, I tried lettuce the other day but didn't go well.  I will stay with grilled or steamed for now.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1321 views