6 years out a note to newbs

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/5/16 2:24 pm - Belleville, IL

Hi everyone both old friends and "new folks".  I was new once and had a TON of questions (Perfectly normal) I wondered everything from will I ever "eat or drink normal again" (You will and that is more of a problem than NOT drinking or eating normally) too "I'm losing soooo slowly"  (We all lose and steps and leaps and stops)  Advice...Keep a set of clothing from your HEAVIEST and to what you wear now. Photograph them, compare... You will be amazed.  When I was at the famous "6th month stall of doom" I though my losing was pathetically slow, then I photoed my cloths...WOW, what a visual difference.  HINT: You probably may not notice your losing weight/inches...Also pounds on scale does NOT equate to SIZE! Honest... Below was PRE-Op, and the size 8 was 8 months out.

Here is a Pre Surgery and a Post Surgery:

I went from a MENS size 3XX down to between a womans 8-10 depending (All VANITY sizing, LOL!) I am 5'3 and around 120 lbs.

I do NOT regret a thing other than not having surgery earlier. It was NOT easy... For me the biggest problems were the first 2 months of healing (Lots of pain mainly) and also 5+ years out, several complications like Reactive Hypoglycemia, Liver/Pancreatic Problems, Seizure disorder and some problems with the staple lines in my RNY. I still regret nothing... Before I was in a wheelchair with a Service Dog...

Now I have a therapy dog and enjoy training dogs and riding horses and enjoying LIFE again!

So dear ones who are new...You will have many questions. Feel free to read my blog, I believe it is Pre-Surgery and the first 4 months out (some of the most frustrating times for new folks)....

To all my friends who have been on here, THANK you for your support and kindness and even the occasional "slap upside-the head" when needed ;)  It is so much more fun doing things with my husband of 33 years and my Autistic 28 yr old son who appreciates having a Mom he can "do activities" and go fishing and storm chasing with!  I wish ALL of you, no matter where on your journey only the BEST and kindest thoughts.

I am "Just Ducky" but I am also as ever-

Warmly,

Jackie

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/5/16 2:28 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Looking fab! I want that hat :-D

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/6/16 10:13 am - Belleville, IL

Since I am an author of "Mob/Mafia" stories a best friend of mine saw this Fedora and put it on my head and snapped a photo...She's a great friend and like a Sister to me. This was around a year ago right before a book signing and she bought that silly hat as a gift for me. I think we were walking in a Mall or Burlingtons or Heck it might have been "Tar'Get'" (Target)...It was a cheap hat but like Rod Stewart says "You Wear it well..." (and yeah my friend sang that to me, she is that kind of friend that cheers me up with bad Rod Stewart impersonations and gets me to smile sincerely!)

You are also an inspiration and friend Julie!

Warmly,

Jackie (ie: "Just Ducky")

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/6/16 10:15 am - Belleville, IL

PS: Hag of Science is awesome! I was going to do Hag of Forensic Technology but figured that would just make everyone scratch their head and look at me strangely (as if us science types aren't already a wee bit off in our own logic/land of fun!)

Take Care!

Ducky~

sheriberi29
on 8/5/16 2:29 pm - Cleveland, TN

What type of pancreatic and liver problems are there out there for post op pts?

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/6/16 10:25 am - Belleville, IL

Hi Sheriberi-

Mine were a wee bit different because my liver problems were first caused by a bum gallbladder (NOT the usual symptoms of gallbladder disease) and then my liver just decided that some days it wanted to work/other days, it was on strike. The doctors think it is more autoimmune as my AST/ALT and AMMONIA are usually way, way, way off the scale and require hospitalization to flush out or I get seizures and hepatic encephalitis (Ugly thing...Look on You Tube "Wrestling with the Monster" HE)  However, because I now have a staple line breakdown/fistula it is causing the liver to act up even more. Eh, sometimes these things happen. Usually comes on gradually.

As for the pancreatitis I think (I am not a doctor here) it can come on during ANY great weight loss or even for no reason at all. Many Dr's say too much alcohol, fatty meals or what not can cause it. I don't drink, and don't do Fast Food or really fatty meals, sooo, my guess was the liver enzymes caused the pancreas to act up too.  Was a miserable week in the hospital that is for sure!

NORMAL things to watch out for as far as RNY is either "Early Dumping" or Late Dumping" (Sometimes called Reactive Hypoglycemia) RH can be deadly, so be careful! Also during any "abdominal surgery" there is a slight chance of bowel obstruction of Peterson's Hernia...In horses we used to call this Colic/Bloat and Torsion....Your intestines basically twist and cut off your blood supply. an EMERGENCY.  

Pancreatitis can happen to anyone who has too much alcohol or eats too fatty a meal, or has an infection in their intestines or sometimes the Doc's just don't know shrug what they call "idiopathic" fancy term for "I have NO clue why you have this, but you do"...I always love that one!

I am NOT meaning to scare you, and most Post Ops have little to minor problems, most can be resolved. If you are EVER worried always go to your ER or see your Bari-Surgeon "stat", OK?

((((hugs)))

Warmly,

Jackie

Kathy S.
on 8/5/16 3:03 pm, edited 8/5/16 8:04 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I love your photos and you are living life as it was meant to be lived. You look AMAZING!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/6/16 10:26 am - Belleville, IL

Thanks Kathy-

You are most kind and one of my original supporters and Mentors. Yer awesome too, never forget that!

Warmly,

Jackie

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/16 3:31 pm
Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/6/16 10:29 am - Belleville, IL

I appreciate the compliment. I try...(to be warm and encouraging) I too was a really dummy newb once upon a time. Then I googled and read a ton of stuff occasionally got my butt handed to me or a well deserved "Gibbs-Slap" to the back of the head....BUT...99% of the folks I met were really nice people on here and other boards.

PS: Sometimes I too am human and want to Gibbs slap someone, I just walk away from the computer for awhile, throw a ball to my Rotties and let someone with more patience that day answer... LOL! All kidding aside, if I make 1 new person a bit more comfortable or feel better, then I have done my good deed for the day. So many were kind to me and I am just trying to pass the kindness along when I am able.

Warmly,

Jackie E.