General Practioner who supports bariatric surgery in the Inland Empire

D. Scott
on 8/19/16 5:56 pm
RNY with

Ok so I had Sleeve surgery done in 2012. My surgeon was in Burbank (about 90 miles from my home one direction) My employers switched insurance shortly after my sleeve surgery so I did not have much aftercare post surgery. In hindsight I started having difficulties almost immediately (I believe I may have had a hiatial hernia) but now I am definitely having some difficulties with my pyloric valve, 3 hernias (confirmed through CT Scan) and weight gain. Id like to troubleshoot these issues with my surgeon or ideally a surgeon closer to home. My current PCP is anti weightloss surgery so he referred me to a general surgeon but despite the fact that I have already had sleeve surgery he refuses to refer me to back a bariatric surgeon to discuss my concerns as they relate to my sleeve, the pyloric valve and hernias. I was hoping to find a local doctor who is at least willing to refer me back to a bariatric surgeon to consult on my troubles, since I am HMO I can not self refer. At the bare minimum I need to switch doctors as my current primary refuses to even read me the full results of my CT scan and berates me for gaining 8lbs in 4 months (really not exagerrating this). If anyone can recommend a general practioner that wouldnt block me from consulting with a doctor experienced with sleeve to have these other concerns addressed I would really appreciate the info. 

Thanks in advance

Sarah

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/16 7:42 pm, edited 8/19/16 12:42 pm - CA

Sarah, Dr. Sameer Murali is a pretty who treats primarily pre op and post op WLS patients.  He is in Fontana.   Look him up  he He will also be a speaker at the OH National Conference in Anaheim on Sept 30-October 1st.  I'm going to start seeing him since I'm 15 yrs post op and having regain.  

D. Scott
on 8/19/16 9:15 pm
RNY with

Thank you! When I looked him up he looked like a Kaiser Dr. I can change medical groups but would have to see a doctor that accepts Blue Shield. That you know of is he only with Kaiser? 

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/16 9:35 pm - CA

I am not 100% sure, but can find out on Monday.  If you add me to your friends list or Pm me your email I can let you know what I find out.  If you want to email me you can reach me at [email protected].   

D. Scott
on 8/21/16 8:58 am
RNY with

Thanks!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 8/20/16 10:00 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You may be able to change your insurance during open enrollment in November and get  doctor who will work with you. Blue Cross has a web page - log in and find a new doctor.  Save some cash so you can change to a PPO plan in November if you need to.

You need to dump this doctor - you already had WLS so his stance is unreasonable.  Does he tell his cancer-patients, I am anti-cancer so I will not treat your cancer effectively with the only medically proven technique (WLS).  WLS is not perfect, just like there are no perfect cures for cancer.  Sorry, you doctor IMHO is an asshole with bias against your medical needs.  

Sorry you are having these problems but you need help (and are seeking it) that your dr is unwilling or unable to provide.

ou may need help - counseling (NUIT or psychological) to help with the regain issues - if so, he should be referring you. He should not berate you.  But he should be concerned (and you also) at a few months of 2 pound per month gain over a few months.  

Hang in there - you will find a doctor who knows the research.  The problem with having an HMO is that under some plans your treatment reduces the doctor's profit.  Expect him to continue to be a barrier.

Sharon

D. Scott
on 8/21/16 8:53 am
RNY with

Unfortunately my open enrollment just passed (July). I am considering switching to PPO though next year. Thanks for responding I appreciate it!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 8/23/16 4:10 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Sorry about that - but are you still planning on finding a new PCP?  Are you sure that there is no valid reason that your current PCP is so resistant.  The published research is not very positive about revision WLS being very successful - but that is no reason not to treat.  (Many regular docs do not repair hiatal hernias - the patients just live with it - and eat anti-acids and ice before bed every night.)

If nothing else works, You may be able to get some of the pre-reqs out of the way and get it done next june or july after you get the PPO.

It may be a cautionary tale to get off an HMO plan and move to a PPO plan if anyone is considering WLS.

Sharon

Most Active