reaching my wits end. HELP!

Beyl689
on 9/5/16 5:12 pm - Gonzales, LA
RNY on 07/11/13

I'm hoping so much that someone can point me in the right direction here! It's been months and months in the making but I'm at my wits end (along with my family). It seems that my life has turned into a battle with myself to get up and continue everyday as I have in the past but for months now I've been in this terrible funk where I go weeks at a time where I can't even function. If I make it from the bed to the couch I'm doing good, and it's even better if I make the attempt to get dressed for the day. Family worries about depression and other things and says I just need to get up and get moving then I'll be fine but I just can't do it. It's been a while since I've had my labs checked and I know I don't take my vitamins like I should. I'm only 27 but I feel like it's impossible for me to be the mother and wife that I need to be in the condition that I'm in. Please help me!

JaxLiving
on 9/5/16 5:39 pm - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

Please go to the doctor and stop suffering at home. God bless you! I will pray for you.

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/5/16 6:13 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Your family is right to be concerned about depression. They're wrong to say "just get moving and you'll be fine." Yes, vitamin deficiency can make you feel like crap, but mental illness is a real problem.

If you're struggling so badly that you can't function, then it's time to get help. I'd suggest calling NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness), they have a help line that can help you connect with someone in your area. 1-800-950-NAMI. Heck, even your GP could help you find someone who can help.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Beyl689
on 9/5/16 6:16 pm - Gonzales, LA
RNY on 07/11/13

I'm just not sure that it is depression bc I don't feel depressed; that is until I get stuck in this funk, then I get upset even thinking about how I will manage having to make myself get up for work tomorrow. 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/5/16 6:26 pm

I'm with Julie.

Not everyone experiences depression the same way, and difficulty functioning is a symptom. This is really important; please pursue it with a doctor.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/5/16 6:30 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Depression can show itself is many ways. Some people feel sad and cry. Others feel numb and don't want to do anything. Others feel hopeless and want to give up.

Can you give this a try and see what turns up? It covers a lot of different things that can be parts of depression, and can give further info you could take to a doctor.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

conazza
on 9/5/16 7:02 pm
RNY on 09/23/16

If you have a PCP I'd start there. They can help you get your labs taken, refer you to someone to explore if you have depression or not and get help to you quickly. 

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

Grim_Traveller
on 9/6/16 3:17 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Rule out obvious and simple medical issues first. Have your labs checked, and see your PCP.

It soundsretty clearly like depression. Pretty much textbook, in fact. 

Depression is like obesity, in that we always think we can get out of it on our own, without help. It really doesn't work though. Not in my experience. 

Seek help. Living the way you have is a horrible , miserable life. It's not fair to you, or your family.

Take one step. Just one. See your PCP. Ask for a referral to a psychiatrist.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

The Salty Hag
on 9/6/16 3:48 am
RNY on 05/20/13

First thing is to take your vitamins everyday starting now, and call your PCP today and get in ASAP to be seen and get labs done. Talk to him/her about what's going on and get the help you need. 

Like the others stated, it sounds like depression. They've given you great advice. 

I'll emphasize the need to take your vitamins and supplements daily, and don't let yourself slack off. Think of it as part of your job as a mom-because it is. It's our job to take care of ourselves so we can properly take care of our families. ( I'm not saying you're not taking care of them now, but from your post-it seems like you're struggling in that department. I've been there too, so I know how hard it can be.  )

I know how overwhelming everything must seem at this point. I get it, and so do many of us here. It's like a vicious cycle-you can't make yourself better without acting, but you're too tired to act and can't seem to even begin the process...I've been there.  

You can fix this; it may not be a quick fix, but it can be done. 

I wish you nothing but good luck and healing. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Liottley2016
on 9/6/16 4:54 am
RNY on 04/25/16

It sounds to me that you are drained and lacking energy. I took my vitamins for about a month after my surgery and couldn't stand the taste and I stopped. Eventually, over time I became very weak, easily tired and some days just didn't want to get out of bed but never thought it was due to nutrient deficiencies and it was.  

I would wake up during the night with pain in my shoulders, elbows and just couldn't understand why. Then the worst happened....my hair started falling out!  I would get your family to take you to your doctor and get a full blood work up! Do it ASAP because your organs are working overtime and you don't that! 

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1375 views