Are consecutive surgeries ok? Hernias, Revision, Etc.

D. Scott
on 9/24/16 10:16 am
RNY with

I had sleeve surgery in Nov 2011 (not overly successful with loss and have regained most of my weight).  I am currently scheduled to have two hernias repaired on October 5th (an incisional hernia with bowel issues causing severe pain, and an umbilical hernia). They can not be repaired laparoscopically so he has to do an open procedure.  I am also scheduling an EGD to get more clarity on a hiatal hernia (Ive already had a CT scan but they want to know if there is an esophagus damage and/ or issues with my pyloric valve). If it is advised to fix the hiatal hernia Ill be sent to a bariatric surgeon for repair (and hopefully a revision). My concern is if I go ahead and get the most problematic hernia fixed will this postpone my chances of getting the hiatal hernia fixed due to the fact that I will have just had this open procedure around 2 months previously? Both doctors I have seen tell me that they can not be repaired at the same time as they are handled by different types of surgeons. While I would love to meet with the bariatric surgeon to ask if this is true I can't wait another two months or more to get this hernia repaired as I am terrified every time I end up in pain that I am going to end up with an obstruction or strangulation. Any thoughts or experience you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks

NYMom222
on 9/24/16 5:03 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I understand your fear, I lived with knowing I had an abdominal hernia while I researched Plastic Surgeons. That being said I know someone (non-WLS) who had a visual hernia for over a year and had to fight insurance to get it paid for.... It was 4 months from the time I found out I had a hernia until it was repaired. I was complaining about pain for over a year before they took it seriously and did tests.... so yes people do live with them.

Personally, I would want to get the endoscopy, understand what is going on in my body, talk to the Bariatric surgeon as well and make a plan. My Bariatric Surgeon also does regular hernias, and hiatal hernias... So I am not sure about the different surgeons part...Even if they can't be done together, I would still want the full picture of what is going on.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

D. Scott
on 9/25/16 10:13 pm
RNY with

Thank You for responding. After reading a few replies here I think I am going to do just that. I dont want to jump the gun and be impulsive as much as I want this resolved. If there's a chance it can all be done in one surgery it will be worth the wait.

Thanks again!

Donna L.
on 9/25/16 2:56 pm, edited 9/25/16 7:59 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Bariatric surgeons are frequently trained first as general surgeons who are the physicians that typically also repair incisional hernias.  My bariatric surgeon has literally done thousands of hernia repairs, for instance. It depends on the bariatric surgeon, really.  Some may do it and some may not.  Just as not all general surgeons are bariatric surgeons, not all bariatric surgeons do all kinds of general surgery.  Also, a surgeon has to be contracted at a hospital for particular services.  a surgeon might be contracted by a hospital to do bariatrics but not say pancreatic surgery.  So, I'd argue it depends?

For instance, general surgeons also do cancer surgeries, breast surgeries, thyroid and liver surgeries, etc.  My bariatric surgeon has also done many thyroid surgeries, for instance.  It depends on the surgeon, their training, and their specialties.  As for doing them at the same time, only the bariatric surgeon can answer that more effectively. It may well be the case that the ones in your area don't.  It's worth calling surgeon's offices and seeing if you can get a consultation soon.  You might be surprised how fast they answer you if you need to make a decision.

I had an incisional hernia for a year and was doing martial arts without strangulations years ago.  It really depends on your physiology and the hernia.  It can be scary, but it also doesn't necessarily mean its a life threatening situation.  Having gone through it before myself I completely understand wanting to get it done.  Mine was done outpatient completely.  Some people have the opposite and need immediate surgery.  Others live for years with hernias without getting them repaired.  It's always better to take care of medical problems when we need to, I think.

On the flip side, the best people to ask about consecutive surgeries would be who does the new sleeve.  To be honest, my incisional hernia surgery at a normal weight (190 pounds) was way harder recovery wise than my lap VSG at 430 pounds.  That's probably a better query for surgeons experienced with both hernias and also bariatrics.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

D. Scott
on 9/25/16 10:14 pm
RNY with

Thank You!! I need to hear stories like yours to remind myself that I dont have to rush into this. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/25/16 10:04 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

When's your next appointment with the surgeon doing the repair on the 5th? Could you ask him/her for a very general "how long will it take my body to heal enough to be safe for a second surgery" question?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!