Don't graze.......just saying!

Willie H.
on 10/31/16 1:28 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

With the VSG it is very hard to binge cheat! I mean think about it? Before when I cheated with pizza I could eat a whole pie! Now, I can only eat a small slice and that with the crust cut off! Before I could eat a bucket of Buffalo Wings! Now I can only eat two, three at the most. Ribs, used to eat a whole rack, now can only down one or two. Donuts, forget about it-with hypoglycemia it's put me in a low sugar let down-jitters, sweats, weakness, disorientation, etc-same goes for bagels, potato chips, fries, cakes, breads, pies, ice cream, really any fast food, processed food or etc. Soda, beer, cannot even drink a 1/2 cup because of the carbonation.

No I don't usually eat these foods but when I have tried them-that was the case. But for the most part it really is not worth it to me so I just leave all that junk alone altogether! The good thing about this surgery is that it really helps you appreciate how food affects you-your moods, your health, your state of mind, even your personality!

So while the surgery has helped me regarding my quantitative intake, the resulting hypoglycemia also has helped me with my qualitative intake-"what" I can eat. 

BUT THE ONE THING we VSG'ers` in particular have to be aware of is........"grazing" That's where we may have the weight sneak up on us. See we cannot eat much at one time-we get full, sick and our belly hurts. Yet..... we can "graze" and eat a little every 45 mins or so? As I said earlier I like nuts, I sometimes eat them throughout the day-perhaps others do it with popcorn, pretzels, even fruit or other healthy snacks.

The funny thing about grazing is that we tend to not count the calories. Sure, If I take one handful of nuts for a snack I will put it down in My Fitness Pal, but if I "graze", a few nuts here, a few there, see, it's not recorded? And trying to figure it out later-well, let's just say it's always under reported!

So we have to be very careful how we "graze"! You know that is what Horses, Cows, Elephants, Rhino's and other large, big animals do. How did they get so BIG-they "grazed" every few hours or so-and this is just on grass and veggies! : )

Hey, think I found the solution to why I'm not losing anymore! So we gotta be very careful and give attention to how much we "graze" Just saying! ; )

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Grim_Traveller
on 10/31/16 2:09 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Yup! Exactly the same thing for RNYers also.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gwen M.
on 10/31/16 2:25 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I can totally still binge eat.  As evidenced by my finally getting diagnosed with binge eating disorder.  I can eat a LOT of ice cream in a sitting.  :/

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

roxytrim
on 11/1/16 4:28 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

On the point of junk/carbonated beverages - I still remember after about 24 months out I allowed myself to try a pop (translation for you Americans - soda).  I took a sip of my DH's diet cola,  yuck! not only was the carbonation foreign but the actual taste of the cola was the most vile thing I have ever had.  I couldn't believe I used to drink that chemical ****tail.  Needles to say give me a bit of fresh juice mixed with lots of cold water, ice & a touch of tonic & that's what I call a ****tail now.

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/16 4:56 am

Grazing can be hard. Glad you shared with us. Keep coming and posting. We all love to see how well people are doing. We also like to help and support each other. No matter what surgery they have had.