Bariatric Facebook Pages

AnImperfectAngel
on 11/26/16 9:22 am, edited 11/26/16 9:27 am - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Oh God!

I'm swearing off of these pages aside from my local group where I sometimes get good info.

I just got into it on one of these pages because a young woman asked how soon she can get drunk now that she's a couple of weeks out from surgery. 90% of the posters were encouraging her, saying they only waited a couple of days or that a few drinks won't hurt anyone - "Go for it girl!" WTF?

The advice I've seen on these groups that seem to be organized and legit is scary and I feel so bad for those who don't know any better and accept it.

People telling newcomers to eat and drink whatever they want, to drink soda, drink with meals, eat lots of carbs, etc. I just can't see that one more time.

I really hope that no one dies as a result. How can people be so stupid and careless?

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

catwoman7
on 11/26/16 10:23 am
RNY on 06/03/15

Ugh.  I don't think I could stay on the page for long.  These are the same people who are only going to lose like 30 or 40 lbs (and potentially gain it back), and then complain that the surgery failed them.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Jwy
on 11/26/16 11:17 am

Where are you finding these Facebook pages?    I am one week out of revision surgery and would like to find some online support groups. I haven't really found any that seem active. I don't want advice on how to drink but would like to connect with others like me

missc_26
on 11/26/16 12:21 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi Jwy

I'm not on Facebook so can't help with your question but in terms of connecting with and going thru the WL journey post surgery I am so grateful to OH. I'm 7 weeks out and I have a number of people I connect with thru messaging and some via email now. It's great to have people to check in with, share your personal stories and motivate each other. Hope you are able to find the same :)

C

hollykim
on 11/26/16 12:47 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 26, 2016 at 7:17 PM Pacific Time, Jwy wrote:

Where are you finding these Facebook pages?    I am one week out of revision surgery and would like to find some online support groups. I haven't really found any that seem active. I don't want advice on how to drink but would like to connect with others like me

um,  you are posting on one.

Jwy
on 11/27/16 3:46 am

While I am aware that I am posting on one I haven't yet found a group that is really active and responsive to posts. I do appreciate you pointing out the obvious though. Perhaps postsnlike yours are the reason people aren't that responsive 

catwoman7
on 11/27/16 6:42 am
RNY on 06/03/15

try the threads on here where people post what they're eating for the day (the "menu threads").  Those are pretty interactive

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

hollykim
on 11/27/16 1:26 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 27, 2016 at 11:46 AM Pacific Time, Jwy wrote:

While I am aware that I am posting on one I haven't yet found a group that is really active and responsive to posts. I do appreciate you pointing out the obvious though. Perhaps postsnlike yours are the reason people aren't that responsive 

my post was directly an answer to your question. If you knew this was a support board,wasn't it kind of tacky to be asking for some on a competing site? 

If you thought my post was inappropriate you must have a very thin skin.

PinkGrace
on 12/1/16 7:14 am

When you are on Facebook,  type "Bariatric surgery" in the search field.  A number of groups will come up, including  Baritastic, and support for the 50-ish crowd.  These are closed groups, so you will have to send a request to join. The groups are active, and rules strict about courtesy and kindness.  Good luck.

Jwy
on 11/27/16 3:12 pm

Don't really want a war of comments here just looking to find support and comrades in my struggle. I am not intending to be hurtful to anyone in this group by looking for all possible sources of support and information. I don't really think it's a question of loyalty. I am happy to use all means available and yes I do have thin skin. I am looking for support not judgement and sarcasm. We all have our own struggles and I wish you well with yours. 

Most Active