You Say at 5+ yrs. Post OP RNY, you Say you can eat anything ?!

huskergalWsD
on 12/3/16 11:14 am

Is what I have read here in the past. I am almost 10 yrs. Post Op and I still have trouble eating Egg Yokes, Pineapple, and greasy Ribs. There are more things I still cant tolerate not going to make this a long post.. Tell me what happens when you eat Anything Post OP RNY 5+ years ?....If there is anyone still here the same time I had my RNY will know I have said , I regretted having weight loss surgery BUT!!!!!! this is one time I do not regret having Weight Loss surgery. These foods I STILL Don't tolerate are not good for me anyway and my Rny lets me know that. Happy Holidays.....PeaceV...Wendy

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/3/16 6:20 pm

I have food that my gut don't tolerate... Like most raw veggies, sweets and beans. 

Egg yolks? No problem. Good ribs - no problem. Ribs that are too greasy - I hated before RNY..and I hate now. But good grilled ribs.. O yea. 

I am not sure why to instill belicev food like egg yolks or animal fat are bad for us. 

Recent study finally confirmed what most smart people knew for a long time - natural fat - animal fat - does not makes us fat nor causes the heart problem someone once told.  Those statments had been verified as undocumented or falsified studies. 

Carbs and sugars is what causes most issues. Not fat. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

April Parker
on 12/4/16 5:41 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

So Hala, when I cook a 4 oz chuck eye steak, I don't have to remove the fat? Because small bits of fat along with the  bites of steak help the moisture, and tastes really good. There's not much fat, but I felt guilty before, leaving it on there. So you're saying I can have it and not feel guilty?!

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/5/16 3:33 am

I don't.  But I know my body gains weight on carbs, and I lose eating fat. 

If you eat the steak and add potatoes - then it is another story. But eating the steak with I.e califlower mash or other non starchy veghies - having the fat would help me not hurt me. And yea.. A tablespoon of potatoes is eating potatoes..or rice. 

I often add fat to my meals. I.e. last night I have chicken with veggies - I added some avocado to increase the fat in my meal. I reheated meatloaf(homemade - very low carbs)  with veggies and I used butter on my skilet. 

Notice that I said "that what works for me".  I met my goal and I am below it eating that. Recently I started to increasing carbs (eating more fruits and adding more carrots, squash, etc.) to stop losing and even ..maybe gain 2-5 lbs. 

I still don't eat a lot. 2-3 meals and 2-3 snacks. I don't eat sweets, grains, or beans. Or dairy. (allergies) 

Eating more fat keeps me not hungry most of the time. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

April Parker
on 12/7/16 1:28 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Well right now, I don't have anything with my steak. I literally just eat the 4 oz and thats all I can do. Sometimes I can't even eat the 4 oz, lol. But I make sure its very tender and juicy, not overdone or anything. That helps. :)

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

huskergalWsD
on 12/5/16 7:54 am

Holy Cow. Eating that fat around your meat will clog your arteries for sure ( speaking from someone that has had 9 stents placed in my arteries.) Yuck, I cant even stand the taste of it. If you want to moisten the meat add ketsup or anything else that dosent contain saturated fat. 

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Dundreggen
on 12/5/16 11:05 am - Canada

Actually the studies have been showing this is not the case.  Eating cholesterol doesn't increase your blood cholesterol.  Your liver makes it.  And your body needs some of it (to make hormones and support the brain)

One current theory is that eating lots of crap and high carb damages the arteries and then the cholesterol is your bodies way of trying to be a bandaid (not a good plan but..)

I come from a family where some people have high cholesterol but don't eat any.  I myself eat loads of natural animal fats and my blood levels are perfect.

(I am a biochemist/molbio by education if not by profession.  There is no clear correlation between eating cholesterol and blood cholesterol levels.  The original scientist who proposed this ditched data that didn't fit his hypotheses.  But people didn't know that until after he was famous and this idea had gotten into the collective zeitgeist)

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/7/16 2:45 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Not true. Current research shows otherwise.

Anecdotally, I eat full-fat everything -- I do not avoid fat.  My total cholesterol is under 120 -- my HDL is over 80 and my LDL is is under 40.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Ladytazz
on 12/4/16 1:26 am

Honestly the only food that I absolutely can't handle is sugar.  Not that I want to try but any other food is fair game.  I have some things that bother me sometimes but nothing that is consistent.  Like chicken.  Most of the time I don't have any problems but once in awhile it can make me feel sick.  Not bad enough to avoid completely.

Same with eggs.  Usually I'm good but sometimes not so much.  But I can pretty much eat what I want as long as I am willing to pay the price if it doesn't agree with me.  Like I said, so far I haven't had any reactions that have been bad enough to cause me to completely avoid something, except sugar.

It's funny because tonight I am a little gassy, which is actually pretty unusual for me.  And I can't think of anything I've eaten to cause it.  Nothing new or different, no more than I usually eat.

My bigger problem is that most of the time I have a hard time figuring out what I want to eat.  Many times nothing really sounds good to me.  I have tons of food that looked good at the store but now that it's in my house it just doesn't appeal to me.  I can eat the same thing for lunch for weeks and then one day I can't stomach the thought of taking one bite.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

SkinnyScientist
on 12/5/16 7:32 am

I dump if I have too much sugar or too much fat. Ice cream is THE WORST. I am afraid of icecream.

Recently, I ate some gyro meat and this made me want to vomit. Indeed I DID vomit and much gagging throughout the day but this was much later and it was foamy white barf. The barfing was oddly unsatisfying and I remained sic****il I had diaherria later.

So icecream and gyros are NOs for me..but I am only going into my 3rd year.

This really surprised me because I have a few big things, but mostly I can eat anything... This gyro meat was a new bad surprise

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1375 views