Recent VSG Post Op Pain - Feels Like Tight Ball in My Stomach

spegues107
on 12/14/16 7:42 am
VSG on 12/06/16

Hello Everyone,

Any advice would be helpful. I'm recently one week post-op, currently following the full liquid diet stage. I keep getting this recurring pain. It feels light a tight ball twisting around in my stomach. I often get this pain in the middle of the night, and I am also experiencing it right now. I have not eaten anything yet, but even when I do eat, I sometimes still get this pain. Has anyone experienced this "ball of pain," or anything similar? Again, any information or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

White Dove
on 12/14/16 8:50 am - Warren, OH

Muscles and nerves have been cut and there will be pain as they heal.  I never heard it described as a ball of pain, but I had soreness as I healed.  Ask your surgeon for his advice.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

spegues107
on 12/14/16 9:32 am
VSG on 12/06/16

Thank you for you time and quick reply! If the pain persists, I will definitely contact my surgeon. 

JustElena
on 12/14/16 9:42 am
VSG on 10/18/16

I don't know if this is what you are experiencing but I remember this weird pain in my stomach that would kind of feel like you described then would kind of spread out and then disappear. Happened several times, even woke me out of a deep sleep a couple times. It was too quick and short to need any pain meds, and not sharp enough to scare me, it happened for about a week or two, no rhyme or reason to it, then just completely went away. I forgot to ask my Dr about it at the time. But my weird pain just went away and by week 4 I'd forgotten about it till I read your post.

spegues107
on 12/14/16 6:36 pm
VSG on 12/06/16

Thank you for the helpful information and I really appreciate you sharing your experience to help me :-)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/14/16 10:04 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I had that, especially after I moved too quickly. It was usually lower in my stomach, near the bellybutton, and if I rolled over in my sleep it would happen fairly quickly. My surgeon said it was things healing up, so I took Tylenol and used a heating pad over my stitches to help the pain. There's been a lot of work done in your guts with some complicated stitches, and it'll take time to heal!

If the pain is very sharp and stabbing, if your incisions become red/hot to the touch/oozing, or if you start running a fever, then it's time to call the surgeon ASAP. But for now, this sounds like it could be just the normal healing process. If in doubt, though, call the doctor :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

spegues107
on 12/14/16 6:36 pm
VSG on 12/06/16

Thank you for the helpful information and I really appreciate you sharing your experience to help me :-)

Most Active