weight loss and being single?

asapgerard1984
on 1/18/17 7:21 am

Hey guys... Im dealing with being single after a 7 year relationship.  Things just got so bad at home...Im getting super lonely now stuck in my emotions just eating right through my sleeve.  I can just feel my insides streching. Anyways...My hw was 430 cw 225.  Ive been through so much and so much plastic surgery and to just throw it away. Im scared to get on the scale. Being single is a new thing so see what happens

GentleDomenic
on 1/18/17 7:26 am - Canada

The real answer here is that you need therapy, it sounds scary but I'm sure so did surgery and you did that.

i was also newly single and not myself. The reasons you are over eating need to come out and that part might be scary but it's your health.

Dont wait another minute

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/17 7:40 am - CA

Any life changes affect our emotion and ultimately our eating habits.    I would say the first thing you need to do is seek counseling, to work through your emotions.  Seeking counseling does not mean you are weak, it means you are strong and can recognize that you need the extra help, to sort through all the emotions that trigger your eating.   

After some emotional episodes in my life, I found myself gaining weight.   I log all my food that I eat, I meal prep and I am exercising 30-60 mins each night.  The exercise alone, has been the most helpful as it has kept my mind off other things and allowed me to focus on getting my regain off.   

You can do this, but you do need to put some plans in place, including talking to someone about your recent life change.  Get on that scale, see where you are and start working on making YOU happy again, even if that means being single for a little while.   

Nik

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/17 7:46 am

I am sorry you are going through a tough time right now. Relationships that are not healthy for us sometimes can really be hard for us to walk away from.

Just realizing you don't need someone else to complete who you are as a person. 

Get on the scale face your fears. It will only get worse if you prolong it. Fear can lead us into places that we do not need to be. It can control us. 

Get rid of all of the crappy food in your house. Tell yourself that you will be okay. I know that sounds cheesy but it is true. Get to the store and buy healthy foods. 

Come here daily to get support and give support. Helping others in this thing called life will help you. 

Remember you deserve to be happy and healthy. 

pammieanne
on 1/18/17 8:24 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Ugh, I remember how much a failed relationship made me eat... drink copious amounts of alcohol... and cry... a lot. I'm so sorry.

But you can and WILL do this! First, just concentrate on yourself. Step on the scale. Everyday. No matter what you ate the day before. Use something like My Fitness Pal to log your food... you don't even have to change what you're eating, just log it, be honest with yourself, and put everything in there... that'll help you 'see' better what you're doing.

Then, start coming here, every day! Find the Menu post, and start reading it and posting there. GREAT for accountability, and to see that you're not the only one eating their emotions.

Finally, counseling isn't a bad idea, however, unless you really want it, it won't help you. So make sure you're ready for it before you spend the money.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Donna L.
on 1/18/17 9:23 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I was divorced a few years before WLS.  I went into counseling and have been since.  Surgery definitely improved my quality of life, however working on my own issues made the biggest improvement, even more so than surgery.

I have since discovered that living alone is not the same as being lonely. I have many friends who are like family for me. I am almost never lonely.

If you find you are chronically alone and depressed, definitely seek help sooner than later.

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/17 9:49 am

The lonely and being alone I so agree with you. I can be in a room with a ton of people and feel more alone then being by myself. 

Finding self worth does  make life better. 

KittyKarin
on 1/18/17 9:34 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

So sorry you are going through such a rough time.  I know that my whole life, I RUN to food whenever I have strong emotions, whether it's sad, stress, boredom, loneliness, etc.  I have been dealing with this the past year and I would suggest counseling, as others have also mentioned.  Along with that, start doing research and reading as much as you can about emotional eating and mindful eating. That has helped me tremendously. Actually challenging myself to confront why I am reaching for certain foods or craving certain things before I stuff it in my mouth is hard but it works!  

Good luck on your journey and I wish you all the best! 

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Renren
on 1/18/17 9:36 am
VSG on 12/02/15

Just remember the pain you're feeling is temporary. Try to do something constructive everyday, or something that make you feel good. Cleaning your closet, donating old too big clothes, organizing a drawer, washing windows, or just take a nice long bubble bath. Years ago I was with a man that made me miserable. When It ended I was sad but it was better without him than with him. After a short time I met the man I married and had the most wonderful life with him for 30 years. He passed away recently. But I cherish the time we had together. And I'm so glad I go rid of that bad relationship and moved on. 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

NYMom222
on 1/18/17 2:09 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

One of the delusions that made us morbidly obese was that eating somehow fixed things...it didn't and still doesn't. Losing a relationship is rough, regaining the weight will be rough...and then you have 2 problems.

Get help as others have said, mourn the loss and get back to basics.... Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1218 views