Old-Timer & New Directions :)

CherriesInTheSnow
on 2/22/17 1:16 pm

I originally had my Roux-en-Y surgery in November of 2004 with Dr Michael Nusbaum (aka "God") in NJ.  He was (and is!) the best!  I lost 165 pounds and found my health.  I was a model patient - I crossed all my Ts and dotted all my Is.  I adhered to his program to the letter.  Zero complications.  I was able to run several 5Ks and I modeled at a local Elisabeth store (the plus-size division of Liz Claiborne) - I'm 5'10" and lost down to 190.

And then - life laughed at me - as it will do, right?  The eroding relationship I had when I had my surgery finally imploded.  I will spare you the details, but there was horrific criminal activity on his part and I lost everything - my home, my savings, my lifestyle, my sense of self and ultimately my job (in the 2008/2009 recession).  I was out of work for 11 of the scariest months of my life; finally, after taking an almost 30% pay cut, I found a job.

The whole episode destroyed me mentally, emotionally and financially.  An ill-advised rebound relationship landed me in therapy, where my saint of a counselor help me realize that I wasn't actually insane  :) 

I had started coping again with food, and coupled with the complete neglect of my health, I regained 85 pounds.  If you think you can't eat over/under/around/through your surgery, trust me...you can.  I did.  I ignored my health - even after a very frightening emergency appendectomy that had me hospitalized for 2 weeks.

Life has gotten much more stable for me.  I've excelled at that job, and recovered that huge pay cut (and then some!).  In late 2015, I started working with a personal trainer and was making good strides until the early summer of 2016 when my progress started reversing so severely that she refused to continue working with me until I saw a doctor.  I did, and was diagnosed with a pretty serious case of anemia.  I was treated with iron infusions and medication, and I'm now 1000% better.  My trainer (who has become my friend) has me back on track.

About the same time I was being treated for anemia, I met a wonderful man.  He had also given up on finding happiness, and in spite of ourselves we've fallen in love.  I'm starting a new journey to see if I can (A) lose my regain without additional surgery, or (B) determine if a possible revision to a DS would be the way to go.  I have a lot of testing and investigating to do!

I'm looking forward to seeing what life brings me.

CitS

Thanks to Kathy, who helped me recover my account information...I hadn't posted since 2008!

Kathy S.
on 2/22/17 1:24 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

WOW, you have been through it and then some. Kudos to you for finding happiness and getting back on track. Life can sure kick your a**.  You are going to love the RNY folks! Great support and check out the eating thread.

We have your back and let us know how we can help.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kathy S.
on 2/22/17 1:25 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Here is the link to the RNY forum and the eating thread I told you about.

RNY Forum

What's on Your Wednesday Menu, RNYers?

CherriesInTheSnow
on 2/22/17 1:30 pm

Thanks, Kathy!  :) 

Rachel B.
on 2/22/17 2:19 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Welcome Back!!!

I walked the same path.  I had been considering a revision, but I have been back on track since October, and have lost 37lbs.  I believe you can do it too! 

So glad to have you back!!!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

CherriesInTheSnow
on 2/22/17 2:24 pm

Rachel

Thank you so much!  I'm committed to trying it without surgery first, and I appreciate your encouragement!

Readyjwc
on 2/22/17 3:13 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Isn't it amazing that every time you get your life on track the planets align and boom - something else happens? Yet, you overcame it all - great job!

I have faith that you can lose the regain. Hit it hard.

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

CherriesInTheSnow
on 2/23/17 4:20 am

Thank you so much for the encouragement!

Dot T.
on 2/22/17 5:07 pm - Bartlesville, OK

Thanks for posting, I'm an old-timer too, came here tonight because I realize I need to make changes in my life, and lo & behold, I see your post!!

I haven't kept up with wls friendly diet & exercise program or getting my vitamin/mineral levels checked...  haven't been taking vitamins at all... and now I'm so weak, my muscles cannot lift my own weight off the floor!  I have to pull up on furniture. I don't even know where to begin on transforming my life and taking back my health!

I would like to lose 45 pounds (again) and get in better shape physically. 

Kathy S.
on 2/22/17 5:21 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Welcome Dot!

You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track.  Here are some steps I hope will help you. They helped me...  

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery?  How many meetings, classes and such did we attend?  We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success.  And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods.  Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits. 

Journaling

Get back to journaling.  This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life.  Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating.  It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband.  It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food.  Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker.  Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself.  Make them realistic and small.  Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea?  I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass.  So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer.  I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving.  If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back.  So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV.  Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1475 views