Advice and Direction Needed

Cosmos2112
on 2/25/17 7:11 pm

I'm going on a six night holiday to London, UK this August. I'm following all the rules, three meals a day and the liquids taken one hour after a meal. I think I'm doing great. This is my yearly vacation.

i may have to stick with starters or small plates at restaurants and pubs. I'm just trying to figure out what I can eat. British food can be carb heavy, but London has so much good international food choices!  Plus how to manage my every other day of Miralax. I'll need to drink a lot of water to keep hydrated. My last trip to Paris and Amsterdsm I averaged 7-12 miles walking a day on the health app on my iPhone. That was March 2016. I may just buy the vitamin patched instead of carrying large quantities of vitamins. 

I need some advice and maybe encouragement so I don't eat too much. I've resigned myself that sweets and treats are off limits, lest I dump or worse. 

RNY 12/22/2016. HW 228. SW 224. CW 122

Dr. Aviv Ben-Meir. Lake West Medical Center, Willoughby OH

kathkeb
on 2/25/17 7:26 pm

For me, I usually do a bottle of water and either a protein shake (that I can mix in my hotel room) or a protein bar for breakfast.

then, lunch on the go was usually a sandwich where I ate the meat and cheese and left the bread.

At dinner, I was easily able to get chicken or fish or steak, usually sharing with my husband, and vegetables.

When we were in London last year, I found the best places for buying bottles of water or other drinks was in the little shops at the Tube Stations.

Kath

NYMom222
on 2/25/17 8:52 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

When I travel I put my Miralax in a one quart hefty bag with the heavier duty zipper. The cap measurement is actually 2 TBSP, so I throw a 2 Tbsp coffee measuring spoon in (dollar store)

I like the Syntrax protein powders for travel. You can get individual packets and flavors that taste good mixed in water such as ice tea, lemonade and my favorite fuzzy navel. I like to over dilute and add some extra sweetener.Bring one of the smaller blender bottles, and you ard good to go.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Cosmos2112
on 2/25/17 9:17 pm

The Miralax in a Baggie looks like cocaine. I may end up buying the prepackaged stuff instead. Just in case. 

I have some Miralax in little baggies in my desk at work. A coworker joked about it. I wasn't amused. :)

NYMom222
on 2/25/17 9:20 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

They may have joked about it, but it doesn't really look like cocaine.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

catwoman7
on 2/26/17 6:15 am
RNY on 06/03/15

i get the individual packets as well.  They're not cheap, but they're very convenient when traveling.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Rachel B.
on 2/25/17 9:30 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

When I went to London, I made the mistake of eating "hamburger" and barfed bad in the bathroom.  So badly that they didn't charge me for my meal.  I took protein bars.  Had some fabulous Scottish Salmon.  Indian food is sooo good over there.  I brought some nice things home from Marks & Spencer I still wear.  Lots of walking.  Enjoy yourself.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

jenorama
on 2/25/17 10:15 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

My husband and I went to London and Edinburgh last October.  I'm over three years out, so I pretty much eat what I want these days.  I found pub food to be fine--a lot of them have starters and at one they even had little sliders.  We had one meal at our hotel in London and I ordered the burger and ate only half of it.  I explained to the waiter that it was great, but I have a tiny stomach!  

There are a ton of international choices and one that really surprised us was this place called Tortilla.  It's Chipotle-esque in that you can get a bowl or burrito and it was really good! I got a bowl with their chicken and beans along with some cheese and of course I didn't fini**** but you may be able to share with someone.  

Definitely bring snacks.  We brought trail mix and nutty bars--the Costco version of the Kind bars--along with small packets of beef jerky and that was great when we were out and about or stuck on a tour bus for a while.    

We did a load of walking--one day was almost 10 miles and it was so awesome because I was up and ready to go the next day rather than needing a whole day to recover.  In the past, I've traveled with protein powder and a blender bottle.  I'd say rather than take up precious luggage space, purchase protein powder and Miralax there--then you don't have the hassle of it looking like something else.  

I've attached a pic of what I went to London for.  You'll have a great time!

Jen

Insert Fitness
on 2/26/17 4:01 am

Fun! You're going to have a great time!

when I recently bought restorolax (miralax in Canada) at Costco, it came with ten bonus packets of single serve doses. I wonder if you can just buy that somewhere, to save on lugging the big container. 

I would bring a protein powder just to be safe, but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about the food. There's tons of options,  I have no doubt eating protein forward will be easy. I'm not sure what your schedule is, or who you are traveling with, but I  often order starters and small plates, or share a main with someone. Or, order something that will keep and I can get two meals out of , like a steak salad, dressing on the side. Something like a stir fry, I'll ask if they do half orders. Or I just order what I want, and just leave what I can't eat. I've never had a server be annoyed or question anything. They really don't care, and are generally super accommodating.

theres also a ton of take away food options if you want to eat on the go. Salads, curries, etc.

ive seen a few people on here also keep packets of electrolyte mixes to add in their water, just in case.

hope you have a great trip!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Cosmos2112
on 2/26/17 4:19 am

Miralax sells little packets of their product.  I think that's what I'll take. I'm travelling alone.  I just looked at Poppies fish and chips menu and they have many options including grilled fish. 

If inordered the fried fish and just cut away the breading, would the fish cause me any problems? Is oil absorbed in the fish?  Would a few chips cause me any problems?

i will order the diabetic meal on the plane. 

Most Active