Anyone cook with a Sous Vide?

Dundreggen
on 3/1/17 5:45 pm - Canada

Hello all,

I have been greatly intrigued by these and am looking at this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Anova-Precision-Cooker-Bluetooth-Watts /dp/B00UKPBXM4?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIKBZ7IH7LXTW3ARA&&li nkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00UKPBXM4 &tag=stuccu-20&ascsubtag=58b61311dccc281098ec930f

I do like how it is supposed to keep meat very moist and juicy.  Also how it makes it easy to cook it exactly how you want.  No risk of shoe leather (I love my steaks medium rare)

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

Rachel B.
on 3/1/17 5:50 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

cappy11448 in the VSG forum cooks with one all the time.  She knows a lot about them.  If you do a search for Sous Vide you may find some posts.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Kathy S.
on 3/1/17 6:39 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Dundreggen,

I don't but my son does and he LOVES IT!  He will cook meat for 16 hours and it's to die for.  Enjoy!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kamera ...
on 3/1/17 7:48 pm

We just got one last week! Our first test with it was with steaks, they turned out perfect.

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/17 6:52 am

Só what Dóes this appliance Do other than act ás

a meat thermometer?

Dundreggen
on 3/2/17 7:10 am - Canada

It is a way of cooking meats (and other things, but I am just interested in meats) You put the device in a container of water. Then you take your meat and seasonings and put it in a plastic bag and remove all the air out (can be vacuum packed) It will cook it to an exact level of doneness. You can't really over cook it. Then you take it out and sear it on a pan if you wi**** is supposed to keep the meat very moist and tender. Tasty, and I would think easier on the pouch.

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/2/17 1:43 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

i do :) i have the anova bluetooth/wifi so i can control from my phone while im at work

ive done brussel sprouts (then finish on grill), steaks (then finished on grill), and the sous vide egg cups like star bucks has (ive never had theirs).

the egg cups were good, kind of a lot of work for the yield... ive switched to making a big egg puff on my big green egg instead. :)

just be sure you are familiar with what can and shouldnt go into sous vide, things like garlic are a no-no due to bacteria that can grow as a result of the environment (is what ive read)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Valerie G.
on 3/2/17 1:43 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

You don't need a special cooker for sous vide cooking. Any vacuum sealer will do and cost you less money. You can also buy the bags on Amazon and save a fortune compared to buying at stores.

You see, it's all about the temperature of the water when you're cooking. You can do this on the stove with a thermometer. The vacuum sealing keeps the juices sustained in the meat, and the cooking is based on temp. A steak, for instance, goes from bloody to shoe leather by exposure to heat. Find the temperature for medium-rare (134degrees) and you can keep it MR for hours by keeping the water at 134 degrees. Give it a quick sear on each side and it's perfect every time.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Dundreggen
on 3/2/17 2:37 pm - Canada
On March 2, 2017 at 9:43 PM Pacific Time, Valerie G. wrote:

You don't need a special cooker for sous vide cooking. Any vacuum sealer will do and cost you less money. You can also buy the bags on Amazon and save a fortune compared to buying at stores.

You see, it's all about the temperature of the water when you're cooking. You can do this on the stove with a thermometer. The vacuum sealing keeps the juices sustained in the meat, and the cooking is based on temp. A steak, for instance, goes from bloody to shoe leather by exposure to heat. Find the temperature for medium-rare (134degrees) and you can keep it MR for hours by keeping the water at 134 degrees. Give it a quick sear on each side and it's perfect every time.

My stove would not keep anything at a steady temp. I would have to monitor it constantly. I wasn't planning on using a vacuum sealer. Most people seem to use a food grade bag like a ziplock with the air pushed out.

So far 80 pounds lost!

dagosson
on 3/3/17 8:03 pm, edited 3/3/17 12:03 pm

I got this exact sous vide cooker for Christmas :) and I love the silly thing. I do use my food saver to set up to cook my meats, usually I buy meat in bulk and I set up some of the portions with the seasonings as I'm packaging them for my freezer, and then they are ready to pop in the cooking pot (well it's not really a pot, it's a 12 quart polycarbonate food safe bin with a lid)

I usually defrost the meat in the fridge without opening the food saver bag, and then chuck the whole thing in the water to cook. Best way to cook steak! Or make a cheap roast taste like prime rib. The Anova site has some good recipes, and there is an app for my iPhone to control the cooker and to get recipe times. It's fantastic for making hard and soft boiled eggs too.

the only time I use a ziploc (freezer grade with the slider was suggested) is if I'm trying to cook something so big it won't fit in my current food saver bags, and I've only done that once with the Christmas roast. Had to use a 2 gallon bag in one of my 30 quart canning kettles for that one :)

ETA words. Not my forté today. Need more sleep, or caffeine or something

RNY 9/28/16 at Highland Hospital with Dr O'Malley

Most Active