Meat eaters: low fat, high fat, whatever fat?

Renee C.
on 3/11/17 9:14 pm - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

Just wondering for those who eat primarily meat and keep their carbs low, do you tend to stick with lean meats for lower calorie intake? i.e. turkey breast, ground chicken or turkey instead of ground beef, lowfat turkey bacon instead of regular...

I find myself gravitating toward higher fat cuts of meat -- I think they taste better and go down easier. So far they fit in my macros because I eat so little, but my fat intake is overall pretty high. (high protein & fat, pretty low on carbs). I also generally prefer beef to chicken or fish, but I could work at making that change as needed.

Wondering if I need to work harder at lowering the fat content in my diet.

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

April Parker
on 3/11/17 9:26 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

That depends on how your body reacts to it. Probably pretty well, since what you are describing is pretty much a ketogenic diet. Little carbs, high fat, moderate protein, or high protein, high fat, little carbs. Either way, ketosis is the end result and uses your body's fat for energy. If you are in maintenance, then eating a good amount of healthy fat is essential to this diet, for that is the fuel your adapted body needs. If you are in your losing phase, then you still have plenty of fat to be used up and do not have to consume as much fat. That being my take on keto diets, I am not a doctor nor a "vet" just have done tons of research on this type of diet since it is the one that works for me. (If only I could stay on it... lol)

BTW, higher fatty cuts of meats go down better for me too. You're not alone! Best steak in the grocery store to me is chuck (chuck eye, and chuck tender being my favorites, but regular chuck is great too) steak... its cheaper, and it can be pretty fatty. The steaks are huge for like, 5 bucks, and I can make 3 to 4 steaks out of one due to my limited portion size. I sometimes trim some of the fat off depending on how much there is. It tastes better, and is more moist. Just my humble opinion!

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

Highfunctioningfatman
on 3/11/17 10:21 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

I could care less about the fat intake. I eat bacon or sausage daily. Who knows, that could change in the future.

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/17 5:59 am

But you're a guy ! ( with the built in much faster metabolism )

also i kinda doubt you're trying to fit into a bikini

I got a very different take from my 600 lb life . Obviously refried beans ( which in the can are fat free) did not make these folks this big . Because the show is shot in in the American Southwest the home of " Tex-mex " cuisine you have to listen CAREFULLY to the diet the doc actually wants his patients to conform to . It's no carb NO FAT .

Funny thing is I see the patients cheating all the time putting butter in eggs etc and more or less getting away with it weight loss wise .

Maybe if you're a certain size you got that way by having a " fat tooth " and it's really hard to cut down to none . Then again there are fat craving cutting supplements that really work by giving the body the exact type of fat it needs for cell regeneration, brain development etc . ( Tonalin for example or evening primrose oil or flaxseed oil) All of these are proven to help dieters lose weight.

I am kind of flabbergasted that people who Clearly desperately want and need Bariatric surgery still ignore the dietary demands regarding fat .

This may just be why the DS works so well especially for larger patients.

I personally hardly eat fat especially not at home . I do notice that when I do ( such as at this weekend's parties ) I still thankfully enjoy malabsorption .

How can U tell ? Don't mean to be graphic - but if you eat fat and your poo turns light yellow you're still malabsorbing .

Dundreggen
on 3/13/17 8:01 pm - Canada

Most successful diet I had pre surgery was keto. High fat low carb and I lost a fair amount of weight.

Most people's problem is that they eat high fat and high carb. Think buttery mashed potatoes. Corn chips, etc.

Pre the whole 'fat is bad' phase back in the 70s I think. People knew if you wanted to cut down on weight you cut down on bread, and sugary things.

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

Grim_Traveller
on 3/12/17 4:34 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I have a calorie goal, and keep carbs low. After that, I don't care about fat. There are days that half of my calories are from fat.

I also never have an issue with constipation, as many do. High fat intake may be the reason.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

peachpie
on 3/12/17 6:19 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Agreed- I can count my constipation battles on one hand since surgery. I too credit it to being liberal with my fat intake.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

FozzieBear
on 3/12/17 7:36 am
RNY on 11/21/16

If I'm experiencing bathroom issues I request ribs for dinner. The fact that they help get me moving was discovered by accident but after it worked the 3rd time I was convinced. Although I haven't struggled with any meats so far the ribs still go down easier and when you factor in the bathroom benefits they've become my post op favourite.

RNY - Nov 21st 2016

HW 386 SW 309.8 CW 174.1

M1: 17 M2: 17.2 M3: 12.6 M4: 18.8 M5: 14.4 M6: 18.4 M7: 13.5 M8: 13.1 M9: 7.8

Christine

Queen JB
on 3/12/17 4:52 am
RNY on 07/20/15

High fat in meats bothered me a bit (made me feel kind of queasy) in the first 6 months post op. But now I really prefer it. As a fellow revisioner, I still sometimes have a hard time with chicken or fish (too dry), so I prefer steak and higher fat meats which are moister and easier to go down. I've had no problem getting to and staying at goal with the higher fat content.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

reree6898
on 3/12/17 6:11 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

For me I try to not go overboard on the fats but it does end up a bit on the higher side. I love ribeye steak but have only my 3oz one a week or so. On any average week For dinners I will have red meat twice, fish or shrimp once or twice and chicken the rest of the week. Lunch is usually chicken. Normally my only carbs are from vegetables at dinner. Or from my Greek yogurt in the afternoon.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

Most Active