Skin removal...will Medicaid cover surgery?

bluewillow68
on 4/18/17 8:50 am - Richland Center , Wi

I've seen on this forum that Badgercare and MA will cover barbaric surgeries. But part of my hesitation is what to do with the lose skin after weightloss...will they cover skin removal tool? I hate being fat but feel I'd look worse with hanging skin. I need to lose weight as I have multiple health issues. But not sure if I could handle not being able to remove the excess. Any info is appreciated.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/18/17 9:23 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Different healthcare plans have different coverage and requirements. Some will cover skin removal for "medical necessity," such as if the hanging skin gets rashes or infections, others won't cover it at all. Your best bet is to call the customer service line on your card and ask about their coverage.

Not everyone has loose skin that requires plastics. I have some wobbly bits, but they don't bother me much; on days when I feel self-conscious, shapewear is enough to keep everything from jiggling.

Hanging skin is a small price to pay for an otherwise immense improvement in quality of life, IMO.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

bluewillow68
on 4/18/17 9:40 am - Richland Center , Wi

I guess I'm a bit self conscious as I already have open heart surgery scar and and a up and down c-section scar that left my lower abdominal skin a real mess. Ithe bulges and hangs over my underwear and causes raw skin crease underneath that I have to medicate. I'm concerned it will get worse since I carry most my weight in my abdomen. :/ I just got back on Badgercare and have to pick hmo I think. But I have multiple Dr's in different locations for diabetes, sleep apnea, hypothyroid, cardiomyopathy, Degenerative disc disease ,Epilepsy and pcp. I need back surgery but was told I need to lose 45 pounds first about 5 yrs ago. My heart got worse so that became priority. I need to find an hmo that will cover wls and hopefully skin surgery.

Does straight Medicaid cover wls or skin surgery?

jenorama
on 4/18/17 11:33 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

As Julie said, skin surgery is not usually covered unless there is a medical need for it. Work with your doctor to document any rashes or other skin issues to build an eventual case for it, but don't be surprised if it gets refused.

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/17 11:36 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Hey, I have done a lot of research into this and asked already. Medicaid WILL cover it if a doctor says it is medically necessary, such as causes rashes and infections and pain. I spoke to my primary doctor (not my surgeon) and explained to her about my worries when I lose a lot more weight. She told me she was more than willing to fill out the paperwork to encourage medicaid to cover it. Best thing to do will be to make sure you and your primary doctor have talked about and your needs, they are on your side 100%

Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/18/17 12:44 pm - Burleson, TX

I am sorry I don't have a conclusive answer, to your question, as there probably is NOT a black/white answer...with Medicaid, or any other insurance...

I agree, with the spot on responses, you have been given. In addition, I would like to add:

With your 42 BMI, maybe your skin won't be as "bad", as you are anticipating. So much depends on genetics, and other things, that are totally out of our control. Also, PLEASE do not let fear of some "extra" skin keep you from getting to a healthy weight--especially with your already current health problems..

As the saying goes...Better to have EMPTY skin, than FULL fat...ANY day !!!!

Signed,

Gina

Princess of the Empty Skin Kingdom :)

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

bluewillow68
on 4/18/17 6:08 pm - Richland Center , Wi

Thanks I know you're right about the skin. I just feel unattractive already and worry that loose skin could make it worse. I guess I need to have more faith in the people who love me ...if they do then the should love me no matter if I have loose skin or not. I know my health should be main concern.

Gwen M.
on 4/19/17 5:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you seeing a therapist? It sounds like one could really help you to figure out what's going on in your head regarding weight loss, health, and excess skin.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

bluewillow68
on 4/18/17 11:39 am - Richland Center , Wi

Thanks for the input. I already have a crease under my lower abdomen that cracks, gets inflamed and burns at times...especially when I get sweaty. Sorry for the TMI.

Gwen M.
on 4/18/17 1:23 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

The best way to find out is to call your insurance and ask them your questions about why they will and won't cover.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1448 views