Had my initial consultation yesterday 4/19

Waterfall118
on 4/20/17 3:05 am

I had my initial bariatric consult yesterday and though I thought I was going to do gastric after a thorough consultation it looks like I'm a better candidate for the Switch. :) I really like the center I'm going to. The doctor has a great bedside manner. I'm easily intimidated by doctors so this was a huge plus. The whole staff was friendly and encouraging and I felt at home at the center. I have a 6 month process before they can submit to insurance. I still have to read more on the Switch and how it is different than gastric. So much to learn.

My first goals now are cutting out soda. My main addiction so that will be tough for me but baby steps right. The doctor wants me to start with healthier eating, and begin a food journal and walking 4-5 times a week. We meet again in a month. I can do this right. :)

Any advice and words of encouragement appreciated.

Sherri surgery scheduled 11/20/17!

"An incredibly SMART, AMAZING, HANDSOME, SILLY KID with AUTISM ROCKS my entire WORLD." I asked my son once what he would tell people to help them know more about Autism. He said, "I would want them to know that even Albert Einstein had autism."

HW: 312

CW: 286.4

BlueCanary
on 4/20/17 5:55 am

Absolutely! Whichever road you choose, the goal is the same. Do your homework & all the things required by your doctor, your insurance & your body! Good luck & keep us posted on your progress!

BlueCanary

Ht 5'4"

Current weight 315

BMI 54.1

Hoping for surgery in 2018

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/20/17 6:20 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Congrats on starting the process. The DS is a great surgery -- be sure to check out the surgery specific board here, too http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/ as it helps to talk with others who've had the same surgery.

It's great that they are encouraging you to food journal. I contend this is a huge part of long term success. I highly recommend MyFitnessPal which also has an app for your smart phone/tablet. I have over 1100 days logged -- and you will find it's the most commonly used app by people on this site for logging your meals.

Good luck to you.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Gwen M.
on 4/20/17 6:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congrats! You CAN do this!

Getting into good habits now is a great plan. I also recommend finding a therapist that you click with, if you don't have one already, because that will be invaluable to you through this entire process. As the saying goes, the surgery is on your stomach, not your brain. So use this time to work on your brain so you'll have lifelong success :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Notaboutperfect
on 4/20/17 7:05 am
VSG on 11/08/16

You can absolutely do this! I remember (and sometimes still experience) doubting myself and my ability to really change. Diet Coke was one of my hardest habits to change because I secretly felt like it wasn't such a big deal. I haven't had one in almost a year, and I don't miss it (anymore!).

You have a good mind-set, take it one step at a time, learn everything you can, and be kind and loving to yourself.

Waterfall118
on 4/20/17 9:04 am

I love this site. Yeah my friends call my diet coke my crack addict. I drink an enormous amount and I was always like well I don't drink coffee so whats the difference. Bu I know it's bad. My initial goals for the next two week is to reduce my fast food take out and cut back to 3 diet cokes a day and add at least 2-4 servings of water a day and walk 4-5 times a week for 20 minutes. I think those are reasonable baby steps for my first two weeks. Going from no exercise to something is a positive step.

I just logged back into myfitnesspal.com and updated the app. I started logging my food and exercise. If anyone wants to connect on there let me know. I'm still learning my way through the site.

I posted on the DS forum, it doesn't seem as active as this one so I figured I'd share here as well.

Thanks for the encouragement.

"An incredibly SMART, AMAZING, HANDSOME, SILLY KID with AUTISM ROCKS my entire WORLD." I asked my son once what he would tell people to help them know more about Autism. He said, "I would want them to know that even Albert Einstein had autism."

capablek8
on 4/20/17 1:38 pm

What made you a better candidate for the switch than the gastric bypass? Good luck making changes for the better. I am still pre-op as well and I wish my doctor would have flat out told me what I would be most likely to be successful with.

Waterfall118
on 4/23/17 5:47 am

I went in thinking I'd be a better candidate for Gastric but after meeting with the doctor he told me the research shows that those who need to lose more weight do better on the switch than the gastric. He said 5 year studies comparing the two show that those with gastric had a higher rate or regaining the weight than those on the switch. I feel very confident in the doctor and practice we chose so I trust his advice.

oneatatime
on 4/20/17 10:00 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Congratulations Waterfall. You're well on your way. It sounds like you're starting to make great, healthy changes.

I wish I had access to DS. I think it's a great surgical option!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1079 views