Gout

yvranx42
on 4/24/17 9:06 am
VSG on 02/01/17

Oh man, I've been fearing this moment. I'm just about three months out from surgery now, down about 55 lbs since surgery. I had my first gout attack 12 years ago during one of the crazy diets I was on, having lost a substantial amount of weight in a short time. The doctor told me that I could expect flare-ups while I was losing, and I seem to have dodged it until now. But it's coming on now, and strong.

Immediately after surgery, I was using tart cherry juice (very diluted) to try to prevent flare-ups. But I wasn't feeling anything, and I'd rather not consume the extra carbs if I can avoided.

I see my surgeon tomorrow for my 3 month follow up so I will discuss with him, but any suggestions? I'll do an epsom salt soak tonight at home. I haven't renewed my Rx for indomethacin in a couple years as I had been able to control the gout by avoiding food triggers, but I don't plan to stop losing weight any time soon. Anyway, indomethacin is an NSAID and is off limits.

For now, I'll limp around the office, hoping it doesn't get any worse!

rachelp
on 4/24/17 10:00 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. My neighbor suffers from Gout. I have no advice but I hope you find relief.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

White Dove
on 4/24/17 12:23 pm - Warren, OH

Biofreeze. The spray can if you can find it. Walmart carries it now. It is the best pain relief you can buy. Like using ice, without the inconvenience of ice.

What works for me is eating tart cherries. I buy Oregon Farms brand and sweeten them with some Splenda. Too me, consuming the carbs is worth the effect of keeping arthritis pain down.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

yvranx42
on 4/24/17 5:27 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

Thanks I'll look for that! I remember when I had my first flare up, I stuck my foot in ice water to numb it. I could see how that would help.

Sabrina J.
on 4/24/17 1:12 pm, edited 4/24/17 6:13 am
VSG on 04/10/17

I am sorry to hear about your gout. My husband has gout for years and he has been able to help the flare ups with Essential Oils. You may be thinking snake oils, that is totally what my Engineer husband thought until it worked. Type in Google -doterra essential oils and gout - there is a lot of information there. I know we are not supposed to push any business here, so you would have to contact me about the oils.

yvranx42
on 4/24/17 5:28 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

Thank you, I'll check that out!

okiepirate
on 4/24/17 2:19 pm
VSG on 11/08/14

I have not had a flare up for years, but it was a horrific pain when I did. Usually, because I got dehydrated. Ask your doctor about https://www.drugs.com/allopurinol.html.

yvranx42
on 4/24/17 5:31 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

Right, Thank you. I know about allopurinol - My strong preference is to avoid the pharmaceutical route, if at all possible. My understanding is that once you go on allopurinol, you're on it for life.

Kathyjs
on 4/29/17 6:32 pm

Hubby takes allopurinol and prefers the drug to gout

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 4/24/17 3:33 pm
Revision on 03/14/18

Cherry fruit extract vitamins work just as well as the juice. I'd check with a pharmacist or doctor first though just in case you might be on something that would interact.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1512 views