Malnutrition

LynneT
on 6/24/17 5:24 pm
Revision on 03/21/17

I've had a tough time and some complications. Had a VSG in June 2013, because of some issues it was revised to a RNY in March 2017 and that was followed by multiple complications, 2 more surgeries, 6 hospital admissions, some bouts of TPN, 4 blood transfusions, etc etc.

At this point I weigh about 100 pounds, a little too thin for my height and frame. My stomach hurts all the time and I am always nauseated. I can eat maybe 3 bites at a time. There are some foods I can tolerate a bit more of, like mushy fruit.

Anyway, I'm having problems related to malnutrition. I do force down my vitamins but I am not able to get the protein I need. My husband and I are considering pursuing a feeding tube that would be placed past the stomach since the stomach has issues. Is there anyone out there that has dealt with this?

Thanks!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/25/17 6:46 am

I am sorry to hear you are struggling. It sucks. Hugs.

I know some people that needed that. That often helps a lot. Try also asking on DS forum. Sometimes with DS that may happen.

Good luck with the feeding tube.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

LynneT
on 6/25/17 6:50 am
Revision on 03/21/17

Thank you for the reply! I'll look on the DS forum.

LynneT
on 7/1/17 2:09 pm
Revision on 03/21/17

H.A.L.A.,

I searched the DS forum and found all kinds of good stuff. Thanks!

Janet P.
on 6/26/17 8:46 am

Lynne - sorry for your struggles. Have you tried protein supplements? There are tons of shakes, etc. available that are high protein. Obviously you're not looking for low carb since you're so far underweight now and need to gain.

What does your surgeon say about the stomach pain? Have you looked into liquid vitamins so you're not forcing pills. Maybe a feeding tube is a good idea until you can start gaining weight. I have no personal experience with this but hopefully someone can advise you.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

LynneT
on 6/26/17 9:41 am
Revision on 03/21/17

Thank you for your reply. I have tried a few different supplements, and they all make me violently sick. It seems with both foods and supplements that the more protein rich they are the less I can tolerate them. It doesn't make sense.

My calcium and B12 are liquid or sublingual and my multivitamin is chewable so they are probably the best I can get.

At my last appointment both my surgeon and I were still hoping this was going to resolve. He's out of the office until July 7. I have an appointment then. We'll see.

Thanks again.

Beam me up Scottie
on 6/27/17 6:54 pm
There are literally 100s of protein shakes out there. I'd go to a Vitamin shoppe or a GNC and try some. A lot of larger retailers will allow you to return them if you do not like them.

Try different types. These are expensive, but were very helpful to me the first month I was post op:

http://www.gnc.com/mixedcat/397925.html?product_id=397925&flagtype=nonbrand&vendor=none&channel=ppc&adpos=1o5&creative=189757865641&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhMjKBRDjARIsAO4rzfgOHFymu8kNxOSoIVTJXIGxE9vs76fLmIZMgtoqr8Ecdcon28HAdA4aAhqmEALw_wcB
LynneT
on 7/1/17 2:10 pm
Revision on 03/21/17

Thank you for your reply. I'm continuing to try! Thank you for the link. I know I will hit on something.

siberiancat
on 6/27/17 11:26 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I've dealt with nausea for years both before RNY and after. I just kept trying over and over. My pouch likes things for awhile and then not so much - so I just keep plugging away. My food intake is very boring as I often have the same things for every meal - but I get in 100 gm of protein a day.

Keep using powered whey isolate protein in different ways, and different brands. ( I currently use Blue Bonnet Whey Isolate in vanilla and chocolate. It is sweetened with stevia and not Splenda). It is expensive, but getting your protein in is so worth it. Protein repairs and heals and you need it.

I find a hot protein drink for breakfast every day works for me. It takes lots of practice to make it without the protein clumping - but just keep at it.

Have you tried Unjury protein - the chicken soup or unflavored? I found it useful the first couple of years. Also, go to www.theworldaccordingtoeggface site. Her recipe for ice cream made with protein powder is awesome. I don't make it much at 9+ years out - but it was a lifesaver the first couple of years. She is a bariatric surgery patient and has a great blog and tons of recipes.

Look into sugar free syrups - I use Torani and Divinci. Go to their website or buy on Amazon. I use about 20 different flavors in shakes, hot drinks, lattes, puddings, with 0% greek yogurt (I like Fage).

I am also gluten free and reactive hypoglycemic - making my food choices even narrower.

I use pancreatic enzymes and other enzymes at every meal to help digestion. I take prescription meds for nausea and use Young Living essential oils. I usually have to sit still for 30 minutes after I eat solid food or a protein drink. Moving or bending make me more nauseated - so I just wait it out.

Sorry you have to go through this. A feeding tube may help get you over the hump. Hope you find the help you need.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

LynneT
on 6/27/17 3:14 pm
Revision on 03/21/17

Thank you so much for your reply. Since I have to wait until July 7 to see my surgeon, and even if he agrees to consider a tube it won't be a next-day thing, I have time to look into your awesome suggestions. It is great to hear from someone who can relate. I'm going to look into all of them.

I use prescription nausea meds, phenergan and sublingual zofran. They do help a little but not as much as I'd like. There is nothing that can be done for the post-eating pain. I just have to wait it out. It is very frustrating that my body cries for protein and nutrients and has extreme cravings, but trying to get it hurts.

Thanks again for the reply!

Most Active