Getting closer

LindaM1962
on 7/2/17 12:26 pm

Had the 2nd of 6 appts required by the program I'm in. Had lots of blood work done and found out I have a few problems that could prevent me from getting this surgery! According to the dr, (not the surgeon) I have parathyroid problems, and my good cholesterol is too low! In my opinion, this dr that I see is trying everything he can to talk me out of having the surgery and I don't think that's right! Anyone else run into this problem? I've been researching this surgery for about 20 years, and continue to research it. I just hope I'll be able to have the surgery before the end of this year!

Doyenne
on 7/3/17 3:54 am

Many people have had to work towards the day they get approval, because of medical concerns. It is important to understand what those concerns are, and work through them. You don't want to become terribly ill post op because you didn't address them properly!

i don't know anything about the parathyroid but your doc does. Just keep on your path, get information and treatment as necessary. You will get there, and be celebrating on the other side with us soon.

Surgery date May 4, 2017

HW 290. Start weight 229. Day of Surgery 209. Month 2: 190. Month 3: 182. Month 4: 174. Month 5: 164. Month 6: 159. Month 7: 153. Month 8: 147. Month 9: 145. Month 10: 142. Month 11: 138 Month 12: 137. Month 13: 139 Month 14: 131. Month 15: 130. Month 16: 131. Month 17: 128. 162 pounds lost!!

Two year anniversary upon me in 3 days: 136. Need to lose a few pounds..

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/3/17 6:53 am

Parathyroid hormones get high when you gave issues with it (i.e cancer) or when your calcium is out of balance and your body is pulling calcium our if your bones.

Either one of those are really bad - regardless which one it is. It needs to be evaluated and corrected, before you decide to have any WLS. You have a smart doc who it trying to look for your best interest.

The second - low good cholesterol - can predisposed you to have blocked arteries - and heart attack wait to happen. That can be very dangerous during surgery.

As stressing as things are - you may Chase to see if you can get to the bottom of those things before you allow s someone to put you under and cut you open.

Good luck.

Fyi- losing bone mass at early age is a thing for a serious concern. Post op any WLS people need to take extra calcium to prevent that. Yet so many end us with thinking bones, fragile bones, etc. The idea of getting WLS is to get better - not worst.

Mineral - vitamins deficiencies are a serious stuff. People get crippled or can die because of that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 7/3/17 8:09 am - Warren, OH

One of the good things about getting approved for surgery was going through all of the tests and finding out I was very healthy and sane, other than overweight.

It is a good thing that they are finding your issues and addressing them before surgery.

Exactly what is going on with your parathyroid?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

LindaM1962
on 7/3/17 9:06 am

I have no idea what is going on with the parathyroid! Dr just said it was a little concerning! Over the past year I have been having blackouts. I can't describe what happens, other than I feel like the oxygen is being sucked out of my head. I have fallen (hit the ground) 3 times and had some kind of "seizure" (for lack of a better word) 3 times. The dr said that's not normal, so now I have to see a cardiologist, too! I'm glad he's finding these problems now, but I still feel like he's trying to talk he out of the surgery!

Grim_Traveller
on 7/3/17 11:43 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It sounds like you have a smart doctor. Get to the bottom of these issues before surgery. Your life could depend upon it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1450 views