Turmeric for inflammation

Fredbear
on 7/4/17 10:17 am
VSG on 11/29/16

Weird, I only keep turmeric on hand so I can make Thai food.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

The Salty Hag
on 7/4/17 4:59 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I wondered about turmeric for that. I could really freakin' use something since my bum knee managed to fall apart internally. Yay.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

theAntiChick
on 7/5/17 10:56 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Since I have rheumatoid disease, I've tried tumeric on the advice of friends who insisted it was great, and cited studies showing tumeric to be as effective as NSAIDs. I consulted my rheumatologist, who said for her it fell in the category of "can't hurt, might help" but she didn't have much faith in it.

It did absolutely nothing for me.

When those friends checked up on me and I reported zero improvement, they told me it was because I was taking the capsule, when I should have been making some sort of recipe with lots of tumeric called "golden milk" or somesuch. Gack.

I won't play with moving goalposts to try and back up pseudo-science. I thanked them for their input and threw away the remaining tumeric capsules.

I don't doubt that tumeric has some mild anti-inflammatory properties. But if it can't be quantified and tested in a double blind study, it's not scientifically valid. Stuff that my doc says "can't hurt, might help" I'm willing to try for myself, but it's not going to replace medicine for me.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 7/5/17 6:26 pm - Belleville, IL

Please consult your bariatric surgeon AND/or a gastroenterologist! Turmeric put me in the hospital with severe pancreatitis. I had a quack of a PCP put me on 1000 mg of turmeric a day and after a week my pancreas went kaput. I ended up having to have a feeding tube put in (by my bariatric surgeon) as well as have ECRP and pancreatic stents put in...So please. IF you have has RNY use caution....You might be fine, people with normal stomachs might be fine OR you might get severe pancreatitis. Best of health to you!

Warmly,

Jackie

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1399 views