High protein diet and low blood pressure

SassyGirlTN
on 7/10/17 11:16 am

I went to my allergist today and discussed my concerns about the nut allergens in most protein shakes. She advised I'll really have to do my homework (which I've been trying to do). Overall I did not leave with a positive feeling about pre-op shakes.

My main concern, however, is my blood pressure. It was 86/59 which is quite low. She even took it twice and asked me, with shock in her voice, "Are you feeling ok?" My normal blood pressure is somewhere in the 120's/80's. Do you think my diet has anything to do with the blood pressure? I'm trying to do high protein/low carbs.

I have a call in to my PCP but the allergist stated I should definitely tell my surgeon about how low it is before WLS.

HW 293 CW 275 GW 175

Start of liquid diet: 275.4

Surgery date - 2.13.18!!!

Grim_Traveller
on 7/10/17 1:06 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I've never heard of a high protein diet causing a drop in blood pressure like that.

Lots of us have low blood pressure several months post surgery, but it is the massive weight loss, not the protein, that causes it.

There are countless different kinds of protein shakes. Whey, casein, egg, soy, and so on.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

SassyGirlTN
on 7/10/17 1:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback. My PCP wants me to check my blood pressure 3 times a day for next 2 days. He didn't seem nearly as concerned as the allergist.

HW 293 CW 275 GW 175

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/10/17 3:03 pm

With high protein diet - most people need to do more salt to prevent low BP.

Carbs or salt help to retain water. When we go low carbs - we need more salt to keep hydrated. Drinking a lot of plain water - may also deplete our salts - minerals - causing low sodium level - lower BP.

I have to remember to add salt to my food, or - ion summer - that is often not enough (I don't eat a lot) so I would often take a salt tablet or a capsule. My sodium always run borderline low..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Roach
on 7/10/17 3:19 pm - OH
VSG on 05/25/16

Have congestive heart failure here. Prior to all the heart problems, my BP was always on the low side of normal. Even though not high, I was started on BP meds to help ease the strain on the heart. So my new normal leading up to and after the surgery was in the range you posted. Didn't run into any problems until the weight started coming off. I knew going in that my heart meds would need to be adjusted. They were not kidding about that! I was having problems when I would stand up (either from sitting or lying down), I would have to drop to my knees until the light headedness would pass. This was being caused by drastic drops in my BP. Had no doubt that if I did not kneel, I would have passed out. Took quite a while to get the meds at the right level. After hitting my goal of 175lbs. (lost 130) at just under a year, we finally got the meds at the right level.

Had one point where I was at OSU for a Pacemaker/Defibulator check up, and felt nauseous and dizzy when I got up (thought it was the blood sugar getting too low). When I got back to my room and they took my BP, they thought the machine was broke. BP was at 47/39. Ended up getting carted over to the ICU, where they kept me for a couple of days till it went back to norm. So keep a eye on it! Especially if you are currently taking any BP meds, they will def need to be adjusted as you continue to loose weight.

SassyGirlTN
on 7/11/17 7:21 am, edited 7/11/17 12:23 am

Thanks for your feedback. I am feeling a little dizzy when I stand, but nothing close to falling over. I checked my blood pressure last night and it was 100/58. I hope I get to the point where medicines have to be adjusted because I've lost so much weight.

HW 293 CW 275 GW 175

SassyGirlTN
on 7/12/17 7:16 am

Did you have heart problems before the surgery? Have they improved since then? I have diastolic dysfunction and I'm hoping surgery helps.

HW 293 CW 275 GW 175

Knitter215
on 7/10/17 7:53 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

On a good day, I'm 90/60. If I'm really pissed off, 110/70. I have always had low blood pressure and my surgery and my high protein diet have not had an effect. (I'm 11 months out.) However, I never really liked Gatorade type drinks before, but now I find that after a tough work out (e.g. 2 hours fencing or an hour of TRX), I really like a Powerade Zero. Hated the taste of the stuff when I was athletic in my teens and 20s, but drank it because my trainer/coach made me. Now, I kind of like it. Maybe its because I need the salt. My BP was 87 over something morning of surgery. (FWIW, my resting heart rate is in the low 50s.)

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

SassyGirlTN
on 7/11/17 7:35 am

Your numbers seem really low, too. I was afraid the surgeon was going to refuse to do the surgery, but if you had an 87 on the day of surgery that gives me hope. Thanks for sharing your experience.

HW 293 CW 275 GW 175

Valerie G.
on 7/11/17 11:38 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My BP is also naturally low, and it got worse on the other side, since my DS. I salt my food shamelessly now, and it keeps my BP still on the low side, but I'm no longer passing out.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes