cheap bariatric vitamins??

dmcs85
on 8/3/17 5:59 pm

Any recommendations for inexpensive bariatric 1x daily vitamins? I'm not an online shopper, so I'd prefer a store. I cant seem to find any that carry them though.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/3/17 7:42 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I have never seen a one per day multi for us. Two multis per day is going to be needed.

You do NOT need a bariatric vitamin. There is nothing special about them. They are always expebsive, and a few brands are not good, and you'd need 8 per day to get what you need. Try a generic that is equivalent to centrum adult. You can get a bogo deal at CVS, Walgreen's, etc, that will cost you about 15 bucks for a year's supply.

But you will still need calcium citrate 3 times a day. And probably extra B12, D3, and iron. You can get what you need inexpensively, but there is simply no such thing as once a day supplements for us.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

nance1950
on 8/4/17 3:32 pm
RNY on 04/26/17

Grim...thanks for the crystal clear explanation of vitamins. Don't have the money for bariatric vitamins and wasn't sure what multi vitamin to go for ..I already had the other supplements . So much clearer now. Thanks , nance

Grim_Traveller
on 8/5/17 7:31 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I got a bottle of 365 generics for about 12 dollars, and it was buy one, get one free. We need two per day, so it was one dollar per month for multis.

I've seen folks pay 35 to 125 per month for bariatric multis.

Centrum Adult is a good benchmark for multivitamins. Compare the label on Centrum to a generic, and see if it is missing anything the Centrum has. Some generics are mediocre, and others are great.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

nance1950
on 8/5/17 7:05 pm
RNY on 04/26/17

Thanks! Due to my low income (I'm old and on social security) they tried to match me up with all these programs to get a price break on bariatric stuff ... They gave me s handout about generic supplements but never really talked about it. They also told me I could eat mashed potatoes. They're nice but I'd relate much better to you guys.Nancy

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/4/17 5:56 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I agree with Grimm. In the beginning I used to take the multi vitamin, iron & the calcium citrate chews, but after awhile my labs kept showing my B levels going up & I had to cut out the multi & switch to different vitamins. I used to take centrum complete. Usually easy to find in the supermarket or drug store.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

FluffyChix
on 8/4/17 9:27 am

Howdy THag. Don't mean to bogart this post from the OP, but would you mind explaining your vitamin regimen please?

(Just some background info...I just had pre-surgery baseline bloodwork done--I've been on a pretty restrictive diet to see just how many cals I have to cut to actually lose, so I can determine if WLS will help me reach a normal weight. My labs came back fine except: My Vitamin A is low normal, B1 is tanked at 40, and my ALT/AST are borderline high (just outside of normal), and my throid panel is showing disruption. Long story short, I know from doing a SEARCH here on OH, that elevated liver enzymes can happen, especially with women, when doing extreme calorie restriction and that it's usually transient. But one of the posters mentioned she got permanent liver damage from taking too many of the fat soluble vitamins ADEK. I know my B vitamin levels were all high normal, D looks good too. It's only the B1 and Vitamin A. I'm supplementing with B1 now. And just trying to eat a wad of greens and bright veggies to up the A.)

I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't quit the multi and just take specific vitamins?

TIA and sorry for commandeering the thread. THag, please feel free to pm me if you think that's more appropriate than stealing this thread. Thanks.

Janet P.
on 8/4/17 9:47 am

What surgery are you having? That will depend on vitamin recommendations. No matter what surgery you're having you don't need bariatric vitamins.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

NHPOD9
on 8/4/17 2:08 pm

Ditto to what others said. You'll need to take 2 multis a day, but they do not have to be bariatric. (In fact, I'd recommend against a bariatric formula as you are just spending more for the term "bariatric".)

Are you a member of Costco? Their Kirkland Multivitamin is good and lasts a fairly long time. You can buy them on Amazon as well, but I know you said you weren't an online shopper.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

AggieMae
on 8/4/17 5:24 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

My surgeon said to use the bariatric vitamins of the first month, then go back to my usual.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1342 views