How do I look good?

Highfunctioningfatman
on 8/18/17 1:22 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

I work in healthcare. I'm in patients homes and I manage a warehouse, drivers and everything else that goes on in the field. I've always worked the patient/service portion of the business.

I'm considering changing things up and dealing directly with doctors on the sales end of the business. The problem is that I don't know how to look good. I look ok in my regular clothes but I want to look more than ok, I want to look professional. I don't need a suit and tie.

Can anyone give me pointers?

CC C.
on 8/18/17 1:48 pm

I think the first thing is to figure out what your style is and what kinds of clothes you like. The internet is a good place for this! I'd start with something like this site.

Also, tailoring is key. For a few bucks, something that isn't quite right off the rack can look like it was made for you with a few tucks here and there.

Consider personal shoppers at nicer department stores too. It's usually free, but they often come up with clothes/ideas you might not have thought of trying on.

Fredbear
on 8/18/17 2:54 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

What Cecily said... get someone to go with you to direct you. Especially if they direct you to clothes you normally wouldn't even think of. Men in particular are really bad at finding clothes that look good on them; they usually just go with what they already know.

You need someone to try different styles and different colors and be able to give you a non-biased opinion of what works and what doesn't.

It is very important that this person NOT be your wife. Sorry, she's too close. You need a stranger, or someone you may know only on a cursory basis.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Highfunctioningfatman
on 8/18/17 3:40 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

I just skimmed through that site briefly but that is pretty cool! Thanks!

ThatMeanOne
on 8/18/17 3:12 pm, edited 8/18/17 8:20 am
VSG on 08/22/16

I'm going to ditto what they said. I find that when I shop with the people closest to me they "don't like" anything they are not used to seeing me in. Now that I can fit in most anything I'm eager to try new things - but I think it's hard for my partners to see me changing so much from what I was.

The personal shoppers at Lord and Taylor and Nordstroms have been super helpful.

edited to add: I know it's way overdone but Pinterest has helped a lot for giving me ideas on how to put outfits together.

and good luck with the new position - it sounds like a great move!

Highfunctioningfatman
on 8/18/17 3:35 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

I agree that part of my problem is that I don't have a style so to speak. I wear solid color shirts and jeans when I'm out and about. I also agree with not taking my wife. I'm not familiar with a personal shopper. I know that I will be up in Portland a bit more over the next few months, I bet that I could find one there. A nsv for me would be to own something that is tailored specifically for me. I've always wanted something tailored!

CC C.
on 8/18/17 5:40 pm, edited 8/18/17 10:40 am

They have Nordstrom in Portland. That would be a great option for a personal shopper experience. Call and make an appt first and tell them what you're situation is, sizes, etc. and they will have stuff waiting for you. They also have onsite alterations/tailors and a lot of times simple alterations are free!

Beam me up Scottie
on 8/18/17 8:18 pm
Go into a more extensive store like Nordstrom or Brooks Brothers... Let them pick out color and styles for you. Then go to a cheaper store and buy the stuff at a 1/4 of the price.

Tailoring is everything! It sounds so fancy but it's not. A good tailor can make a 200 dollar suit look like a 1000 dollar suit.

Since you are not thin.... Clearance is your friend! I found that khols has excellent clearance prices and fairly decent quality clothing.

I do like bargins.... But it does pay to buy a few items that are high quality. Shoes... Don't buy cheap shoes! Dress shirts.... You can pick out a cheap dress shirt in seconds.

Scott

Gina 21 Years Out
on 8/19/17 6:29 am - Burleson, TX

Almost exactly what I was going to say - get out of my head!!!

It's like getting fitted, for running shoes. I let the fancy experts determine my current, CORRECT size, then I usually shop around the shoes on ebay, Amazon, etc, and get them for half the price, of the specialty store - but still get the RIGHT shoe, at the RIGHT size

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/17 2:16 am

I've worked ( consulting as a designer ) in " the rag trade " a long time ... and as a personal consultant also . You've got a LOT going for you- height, sweet handsome face, good hair ( a beautiful loving wife and kidz to accessorize when needed lol.. just the perfect arm candy :) ) ( and most important your beautiful family gives you off -time support and the inspiration to work harder and smarter )

The " ideal " professional but also hot male look is viewable on " Ray Donovan" ... notice his suits are always flattering and comfortable mainly because they're fitted and made out of the right ( bit stretchy but classic seeming ) fabrics. The T shirt with a suit thing is pretty LA .. wouldn't fly most anywhere else . But I find multi million -dollar brokers wearing shorts and tees ( nice ones ) in NY city on casual fridays .. so why not a high -end T with a suit in " real " America.. but only on Friday ?

My advice .. TRY EVERYTHING... and see what feels IRRESISTIBLE to you in terms of flattery and sexiness and also personal comfort ; you need a wardrobe of flattering but form skimming business clothes that you'll confidently put on even when you ate salty pretzels the day before . My personal go to for business clothes is Brooks Brothers but they have a lot of ( sometimes very competent) competition. Please don't dream you can buy appropriate business clothes at Target Walmart or Old Navy and their ilk . Their clothes make fine uniforms if you want to be a deckhand or waiter ..not a boss . ( good luck !!! Such an exciting time in your life ! I'm so glad to hear you're achieving your dreams :) )

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1371 views