Six Star Protein Powder

LindaM1962
on 9/1/17 7:31 pm

ok so today I went and bought 2 huge containers of Six Star protein powder so I can lose the 15lbs I need to lose by the 12th! I bought the chocolate and strawberry flavors. Here's my question....HOW does anyone drink this stuff??? Idk about the chocolate, but the strawberry is horrible! Any suggestions on how I can make it taste better or go down easier?? I really don't know how I'm going to drink 4-5 of tteee a day!! Please someone help!!

Writergurl08
on 9/1/17 8:59 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

Some brands are better than others, but none of them are really things I'd choose to drink by choice. They're certainly not "shakes" the way I like them (and adding ice cream would probably defeat the purpose.) I won't need to be on my liquid diet until closer to surgery, but I've been sampling different kinds before I commit to buying anything in greater bulk. Even more fun, after surgery, your tastes my change, and whatever you liked and bought before surgery, you may not like AFTER surgery.

I like Syntrax nectar, they come in something like 15-17 flavors and you can buy a sampler pack on Amazon. Flavors like Lemonade, Fuzzy Navel, Cappuccino, and Pina Colada. The Premier Protein ready-to-drink shakes aren't bad either, but I got really sick of them.

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Au_Contraire
on 9/1/17 10:17 pm

Some brands and flavors really are better than others. Best to get serving size samples first so you can get the ones you like best. I like Bariatric Fusion's Cinnamon Buns, and their Vanilla. Their Cappucino isn't bad, either. Syntrex Nectar's Fuzzy Navel is quite good too. If the taste is really bad, it may be better icy cold, or warm. You can also just make your servings up in very small volume, as bariatric shakes mix thinly and smoothly. That way you will only have to drink a few swallows per meal.

But in the end, I think it comes down to just doing it. You (all of us, not just you) really just have to suck it up and lay down your arms, stop resisting, and follow the plan. Remember the reason you are doing all of this, to improve your health and life. I understand that the shakes aren't fantastic, but I suggest that you try to view this bit as a sacrifice to a good cause. Two weeks really isn't such a long time, honestly. You can do just about anything for two weeks! Those two weeks will prepare your body for the surgery, shrink your liver, and give you a good base of healing protein going in. Plus you will probably lose some weight - I lost 18 pounds! Do your best to comply, and these two weeks will fly by! Good luck!

White Dove
on 9/2/17 8:41 am - Warren, OH

I don't know if you can return that or if you are stuck with it. Star Six is designed for weight lifters who want to gain weight and muscle. It has 19 grams of carbohydrates per serving. I would advice you not to drink it for weight loss.

You need a protein powder with high protein and low carbohydrates in order to lose weight.

You can enhance flavors with sugar-free syrups, sugar-free pudding mix, or with sugar-free drink mixes like Crystal Light. I used to like the Fuzzy Navel flavor mixed with water and orange sunrise crystal light. I mixed vanilla protein with sugar-free root beer or sugar-free ginger ale. I have mixed chocolate protein powder with sugar-free coconut or peppermint syrup. There are many possibilities. Try to find something you enjoy.

Many people enjoy Premier Protein. It is pre-mixed and ready to drink. I buy it at Walmart for about $2 a serving. Pre-mixed is convenient, but not cheap.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

LindaM1962
on 9/2/17 2:07 pm

My Walmart obviously doesn't carry a lot of things people have suggested! This Six Star I bought has 30g of protein and 3G carbs, that's why I bought it! It's 100% Whey Isolate. I bought a chocolate flavored and strawberry. I know I won't be able to take the strawberry back, but I'm going to take the chocolate back. Idk what else Walmart has, but I know they don't carry any RTD.

White Dove
on 9/2/17 2:37 pm - Warren, OH

OK, those stats are fine. Sorry.

Good luck with finding one you like. I personally told myself that if I had to drink mud-shakes to lose the weight that I would close my eyes, hold my nose and drink them.

It helps to put them in a sippy cup. If you can't smell them, they are not as hard to drink.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kristi T.
on 9/2/17 9:32 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

If the store won't take it back(most usually do) and you have to keep it, give PB2 powder a try. It's powdered peanuts, it comes in plain and chocolate. You can get it now in just about every grocery store, either with the peanut butter or in the health food section. I added 2Tbsp to my protein powder and mixed it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

As White Dove mentioned, Premiere Protein shakes(Walmart, Costco, ect.) are easy and not as expensive. I really liked the banana cream and vanilla flavors.

LindaM1962
on 9/2/17 2:08 pm

They don't carry them st my Walmart!

DanielleRN76
on 9/2/17 3:37 pm
RNY on 08/14/17

I've also seen them at Walgreens, BJs, and some grocery stores. Maybe travel a little further to a bigger Wal-Mart? The Vitamin Shop, GNC and the natural food store near me all have trial packets of many different brands and flavors. You just might have to shop around. There are sites like www.nashuanutrition.com where you can buy single serve packets to try. Good luck!

Au_Contraire
on 9/3/17 12:36 am

You might consider ordering it online from Walmart.com and having it delivered to your local store. When available I think this saves or reduces shipping fees. Additionally, Amazon also carries Premier Protein and Syntrex Nectar flavors like Fuzzy Navel. Some of the listings include 2-day Prime shipping options.

Most Active