Update on my surgery

JaimeRG
on 9/14/17 1:36 pm

I was scheduled to have my surgery on Monday (and my mind was there) but I received a call saying I have another issue I need to have resolved first. So it is very likely I will be unable to have the surgery on Monday. I of course am now second guessing having this procedure done. I have lost over 120 pounds thus far and I have a ways to go. My main concern is going back to how I was. I am wondering if this is a "sign" that I shouldn't go forward with the procedure. I guess I just need to hear some positive reinforcement that I am on the right track.

Thank you for your help.

White Dove
on 9/14/17 1:49 pm - Warren, OH

This is a sign that there is more to be done to make sure your surgery is as safe as possible. Without surgery as a tool, it will be almost impossible to maintain your weight loss.

Don't back out now. Losing the weight is easy. Keeping it off requires surgery for at least 95% of people. If dieting worked, there would be no need for the surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

pammieanne
on 9/14/17 1:53 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Only you can answer that question...

Have you lost a significant amount of weight before? Did you gain it all back?

I doubt that many (if any) people on here will tell you not to have the surgery - unless you have other issues that would make them think you wouldn't succeed.

Many people have setbacks prior to surgery. I don't know what your other issue is that you need to take care of first, however, one could look at this as sign not to have surgery, or one could look at it as a good thing that you have decided to have surgery because it brought to light another issue you needed taken care of prior to.

There are good hard statistical facts that show that people that have had WLS are so much more likely to actually keep most/all of the weight off that they lose, as opposed to those that have been SMO for a lengthy time and then lose 'the old fashioned way'.

I think a high percentage of people on this board were all great at losing weight prior to surgery... and lost a bunch of it... over and over and over.

Good luck with your decision, either way :)

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

JaimeRG
on 9/14/17 2:13 pm

Thank you very much for the response. I truly feel this is what I need to do as I have lost weight and gained it all back and then some over and over in the past as I have been SMO for as long as I can remember. But then I start thinking too hard and I start to wonder if this is the right track for me. And any little bump makes me question myself. Thank you for reminding me to see the positive side of this other issue I need to resolve first. As without this I wouldn't have known about it.

I love being more active with my kids and I can't wait to continue to get more and more active. My son can actually ask me to go on a bike ride with him now and I love doing so. I need to remember why I am on this journey and how much I love being able to do things I couldn't do in the past.

theAntiChick
on 9/14/17 2:21 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I think most of us have felt this way.

Here's a blog post I wrote before my surgery, where I worked through my reasons for having the surgery even though I'd been losing weight with the pre-op diet.

http://www.theantichick.com/2016/08/05/the-easy-way-out/

Hope it helps. None of us can tell you to go through with it or not, that's your call. But if you've lost and regained the same weight over and over, the surgery can be a VERY effective tool to help ensure that this time it stays off.

My only regret (and I keep repeating myself on this, but it's the absolute truth) is that I didn't do this years ago.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Gwen M.
on 9/15/17 1:53 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I don't believe in signs. Chances are the reasons you had to choose surgery still exist, so I'd focus on those. You're on the right track.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1399 views