PCP discouragement

NanaB73
on 10/30/17 1:10 pm

First of all, my PCP is terrific. She's been amazing for myself and for my mom, who I am a caretaker of. We've been blessed over and over again by the level of her care.

But......I've been moving forward to VSG in Mexico. I do not have other health issues to speak of, so have not really involved my PCP in this decision. I did mention 2 months ago that I was thinking of it, and she told me she is not against it, that she had even considered it for her own mom. She did speak of the challenges and cautioned me, particularly emotionally since I have dealt with depression. And I understand that.

Since I am now ready to schedule my surgery I wanted to let her know and make sure she would do my aftercare. I called and left a message and her nurse called back with dire warnings of the dangers and a very strong "Dr.O does NOT advise this". She wants to see me if I decide to go ahead and I dread it terrible because I know she will try to talk me out of it.

This will not stop me, but I feel discouraged about it today.

Can anyone speak to this?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/30/17 1:38 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Some doctors are biased against WLS in general. Can you find a different GP who is more friendly towards bariatric-surgery patients?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

NanaB73
on 10/30/17 2:56 pm

I really hope I do not have to, but I can see that it would be important enough to have the support that I will if necessary. :/ I'm really hoping there is just a gap in communication!

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/17 1:38 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

It will be great to have your long-term PCP on your team when you get back from Mexico. For that reason, it is worth going to this appointment. Since you trust her, listen to her advice then make your own decisions. If she thinks you may have physical or mental conditions that make you a bad candidate for VSG, then that is something you should know. But if she is just against WLS for anyone in general, then she is behind on her research and not practicing using the best evidence. If she specifically objects to Mexico, that is just being xenophobic.

NanaB73
on 10/30/17 3:16 pm

I can see what you are saying.....I trust her so I need to move into this conversation with that trust. I'm going to see her next wee****il then I just need to breathe and not panic!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/30/17 1:46 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Perhaps she just feels ill equipped to be the local on call person should any complications arise post WLS? If so, maybe you can put her in touch with the aftercare people for the organization you are working with and potentially be put at ease.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

NanaB73
on 10/30/17 3:17 pm

Another good thought. In our smallish city, she may well have not had experience with many or any WLS patients. I do know she will tell me if she doesn't feel qualified and that is important.

You all are helping me calm down. Thank you!

Gwen M.
on 10/30/17 1:50 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I recently found out that my PCP discourages people from WLS because, apparently, I'm her only "successful" patient.

I would recommend definitely scheduling with her and asking her what her concerns are. Some might be valid and worth considering - especially if you trust her medical opinion, which it seems that you do based on your history with her. It's worth giving her a chance to speak. Try to approach this meeting with an open mind. You don't have to take her advice, but it is worthwhile to listen to it.

She might try to talk you out of it, which is her right, and it would behoove you to listen to her reasons. But it is YOUR right, ultimately, to make decisions for your healthcare. Don't be terrified, just think of it as yet another part of the information gathering process.

And make sure to ask her if she feels comfortable handling your follow up care as a bariatric patient in the future. If she doesn't, ask if there are any PCPs she would recommend who would be comfortable with that.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NanaB73
on 10/30/17 3:20 pm

"Don't be terrified." This is so good. I think I am somewhat terrified that something will come up that will keep me from surgery. I keep trying to have an open mind that there may be some reason I should not go ahead, but my heart is pretty set on it, so an open mind is hard to keep!

CC C.
on 10/30/17 2:43 pm

I'm sorry she isn't being supportive. I just got home from seeing my internist and she was super supportive of me when I mentioned surgery the last time I saw her and she was really happy for me and my health as a result of the surgery when I saw her today. I did not need her referral to move ahead just like you, but I trust her and would have been hurt if she wasn't on board.

Go to your appointment, listen to her concerns, think about them and consider whether any of them are valid, but never forget you're an adult with your own power to make decisions for yourself and your health. If it comes down to finding a new doctor, that's unfortunate, but not impossible. But Mahonia is right, you will need a supportive doctor stateside for followups and labs.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1436 views