laziness vs/ lack of energy..

minaque2
on 11/9/17 9:55 am

Hi all. I am at the halfway mark of my weight loss. 100lbs gone, 100 more to go. I have been obese my whole life, since I was 5. At first after surgery, I did truly lack energy. I started to feel less tired at around 6 weeks. I am walking at lunch 5 days a week. As far as having motivation, energy, the will or whatever, I am not doing as much as I dreamt I would before surgery. I wonder how much of this is just because I am not used to even trying to exert myself due to weighing over 340lbs. Have I just learned to be lazy and now I have to unlearn? Am I truly lacking energy? I imagined myself walking a lot further, helping more with yard work, having an abundance of energy that propelled me into action. I still have an extra 100lbs on my body. But what do you folks think? What has been your experience with this?

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/17 10:02 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I personally don't have more energy or strength than I did 100lbs ago, but I know that's my fault for not making myself work out at all during weight loss.

Valerie G.
on 11/9/17 11:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I've got the energy, but not the strength. I've been conquered by a swinging door or two.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Valerie G.
on 11/9/17 10:55 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

With 100 lbs now gone, I would imagine mobility is much easier for you. Celebrate that win in itself!

That being said, moving around with an extra 100 lbs still takes much energy, so I understand that you still get fatigued, but you're making progress just the same. I think as you shave off the rest, you're going to see those significant changes you've dreamed about.

If you really think it's more than that, then it's time for some bloodwork to get a look at your nutritional health. There are many forms of malnutrition that could be causing fatigue.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Gwen M.
on 11/9/17 10:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think it's just a matter of changing habits. Easier to be sedentary than to do stuff. But, for me, if I forced myself long enough, I started to believe it. It just took time and concerted effort.

That said - have you have lab work? Low vitamin B levels can especially screw your stamina and motivation.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 11/9/17 11:05 am - Warren, OH

Definitely get blood work done and see if your iron and vitamin levels are good. I have a lot more energy now.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Janet P.
on 11/9/17 11:11 am

I can only speak for myself, but I envisioned a totally different life post-op (post weight loss). Never happened because they didn't operate on my head, they operated on my insides. I'm still the same generally lazy person I was before surgery, just thinner with a little more energy.

I did everything I needed to lose my weight (which fortunately I did). It's just the life part that sometimes sucks (it is what it is).

Make sure your labs are good and that you are not lacking energy for that reason.

Only you can change your way of life. Have you thought about talking to a professional about this?

I just moved into a 55+ community with lots of activities. We'll see if that helps me.

Good luck!

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Knitter215
on 11/9/17 11:23 am
VSG on 08/23/16

Walking helps, but find something you enjoy doing. Start working with weights, as building your strength will help. I'm down 100 and only have about another 25 to go, but working with a personal trainer to develop a weights program really helped me because it has redefined the shape of my body. While I weight 166 right now, I'm wearing size 8 pants which I don't think I did when I weighed 125 in my 20s. I was always a 10. I have clear muscle definition in my arms (at least above the bat wings). And muscle makes a difference.

Also, find something you love to do - swim, bike, hike, whatever. For me, it's fencing (en garde!) I fence for 4-5 hours a week. I was just under 200 pounds when I started doing that and it has changed so much for me.

So part of it is finding something you enjoy. I tried running and to be honest, I'd rather deliver another baby than run a 5k. So, find what works for you.

Best of luck.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

HamsterLuv
on 11/9/17 11:24 am - IL

Definitely have your iron and B12 levels checked. Malabsorption will be an issue now for the rest of your life. I'm 15 years post op and still have issues.

minaque2
on 11/9/17 12:07 pm

I am deficient in Vit B12, Vit D3, A and Iron. I was before surgery too. I got them up and then they went down again.

Most Active