Problems 14 yrs post RNY - anyone else

sweetpotato1959
on 12/25/17 12:04 pm

I have some things in common, My surgery was 23 years ago and was done in Memphis, Dr has retired....have not had this problem but have had 2 intestinal twists.. those took 5 days of low intermittent suctioning to decompress the bowel, first time they gave me a rectal tube,oil retention enema's and gave me prilosec/prevacid iv as well.

If you are having very small diameter stools. that can be caused by intestinal edema.are indicative of inflammation generalized int he intestine.. Prevacid 30mg 2 x a day for three days helps me. then i do daily for 4 more days..I buy OTC. I also have some herbals I wildcraft..if you are in Tn they are local on roadside/farmers fields.,and legal.Everlasting tea works for spasms, reduces gas...upper and lower.replaces enzymes required for digestion..info sheet on it by accessing the southern herbalist site and plugging in herbal name.

. You need a full workup when in crisis by someone VERY experienced. It sounds like you have a severe /partial stricture somewhere. You need to be evaluated by a surgeon...someone with experience in fixing other peoples mess ups... not saying your surgery was messed up, but that that is the type of surgeon you want...someone used to looking for issues...and understands the surgery procedure that has been done, and possible body changes inside that can occur...like adhesions, hernias.

You need to note the first place your stomach begins hurting... the most tender spot. Mark that. That is most likely where the issue is..don't put off getting this checked out. anti inflammatory , I would do liquid protein..until getting it checked... avoid all fats... Has anyone checked your gall bladder? or bile ducts? with excessive gas back up... one of symptoms... just something else to make sure is checked.(My blessed Dr, George C removed my GB and appendix)

Denise
Diane K.
on 12/27/17 12:05 am

Thanks for the input! Gall bladder removed long ago. They've done multiple CT scans at ER and then the swallow test where they watched barium all the way through system + the other imaging that's been done. Nothing shows.

I do know the "spot" where it starts...

Glad you found a great surgeon!! Limited here!

Diane K.

sweetpotato1959
on 12/27/17 1:04 am

Had to travel to regional hosp in Jackson... nothing local here either. Did not need to do surgery on me, i had full twisted intestine, easy to spot on standard ray. obvious. Ask trusted Dr. ? an internist who he would go to if he needed intestinal surgery...if difficult case. take the test results, if can be assessed from same place where those tests were done will prevent duplication. Where it starts is the key. sounds like a narrow passage/? closing with spasms, hernia? food could becausing partial blockage.andor,spasms.Have you been tried on any of drugs that relax smooth musclesofintestine?used to see librax given for that.if Dr put me on that i would add prevacid 30 mg bid, just to cover any edema already present in stomach/intestine.

Do you have any intestinal swelling... before i had last episode i looked to be about 4 mos pg.it is one of my first signs of distress. swelled intestineal profile, stools everywhere, but go toward thin, skinny with more distress, an even loose form, explosive.

Denise
H.A.L.A B.
on 1/2/18 9:56 am

BTW: have they tested you for parasites?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active