Vegetable Soup

ks76
on 12/28/17 1:11 pm
RNY on 11/29/17

Now that I can progress to soft solids and have cooked tomatoes I think I'm going to make vegetable soup for dinner tonight. What are some things you put in yours? I typically put onion, okra, celery, carrots, potatoes, hominy and regular corn. I think I need to leave out the celery and hominy/corn still correct? What are some other things you all add? I will add zucchini to mine as well.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/28/17 1:51 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Soup is great, but what you REALLY need is protein, and vegetable soup has next to none of it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ks76
on 12/28/17 3:21 pm, edited 12/28/17 7:22 am
RNY on 11/29/17

Yeah, I?m going to add a scoop of unflavored to my bowl.

NYMom222
on 12/28/17 3:32 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I would leave out potatoes and corn as well, really don't need the starches, plenty of healthy non-starchy carbs without them....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Daisydoo02
on 12/28/17 6:27 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Soup is so lovely this time of year as its warm and soothing. I would make the veggie soup as you normally would BUT only eat the broth with your unflavoured protein powder in it. The okra & celery and carrots can be really hard on your new pouch to digest, especially celery which is so stringy. The potatoes, hominy and corn are all just carbs that you should not be eating this early out. So make it as it for the flavour but just have the veggie broth, none of the "solids."

If you have not ventured over to a website called "The World According to Eggface." This lady had weight loss surgery years ago and created this awesome website and she has a ton of easy to make and tasty food for post ops. And she has foods for all stages. Lots of ideas for "soft foods/pureed foods." And lots of people eat her "ricotta bake" and LOVE it. I ate a lot of her "egg bites" when I was a newbie.

Some soft food ideas I ate at your stage were: scrambled eggs, hummus, yogurt, mashed chick peas, mashed lentils. Best of luck!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Harpediem
on 12/28/17 7:13 pm

I'd suggest black bean and tomatoe soup. One can of each, add some cumin and a touch of cayenne. Oh, and an onion. Easy as pie, full of protein and vegetables, and blends really easily. You can also add finely cut carrots. Make sure they're cooked well so your sleeve is happy with them. You can also add scoops of unflavoured protein or an extra protein hit.

Renren
on 12/30/17 8:59 am
VSG on 12/02/15

I can pretty much eat any vegetable now. But early on I tried a small amount of tomatoes and bell peppers cooked really soft. It made me so sick, as if I poured acid in my belly. I had the same reaction to V8 juice, only so much worse.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Valerie G.
on 1/2/18 9:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I agree with the others that it may not be a good idea. Looking at the date of your post though, you may already have your answer at how your body reacted.

When it comes to soft solids, you want to focus on protein first. Thin soft cheeses, tender meats (think crock pot), slow cooked, simmered or roasted and moist. Try chicken thighs before you try breast meat. The breast meat is dry and sits in the stomach like a rock for most of us.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active