How long off work?

lbalaw2
on 1/3/18 7:32 am
VSG on 09/19/17

I am a bedside nurse with a specialty job that does require some lifting. Take off as much time as they will allow you to. My doctor gave me 4 weeks with an additional 2 weeks lifting restriction and it is very necessary. Just standing on my feet all day made me very tired at first. Getting in enough liquid was a huge challenge as breaks are not consistent. Heal yourself and plan well for your intake at work before you go back. Good luck! Follow your plan and success will follow.

AGE 61 HGT 5'5" HWE 330 SW 272 VSG 9/19/17 CW 230 GW 160

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/18 11:30 am
Mary K.
on 1/4/18 4:47 am

I think you are taking the minimum considering you already have a hernia, are having a bariatric procedure, and your job requires lifting. I worked a desk job, and it was very hard after 3 weeks to just sit up at a desk, so I cannot imagine lifting or moving stuff for at least double that. I would recommend seeing if you could get prescribed physical therapy as part of your recovery to make sure the right muscles have healed and you do the right exercises to get back to your levels for work.

Good luck :-)

Mary K.

Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results is the definition of insanity.
Do or Do Not, There is no TRY. - Yoda

RNY- 2/2008- Before Surgery-336-Lowest Weight- 248 Current Weight (w regain) 284.4 GOAL->200

NatureLover888
on 1/7/18 5:18 pm
RNY on 12/29/17

Everyone recovers differently. If you have to do heavy lifting for your job, 5 or 6 weeks sounds good. You will have time to totally recover from the surgery and thus not put it at risk of any internal sutures tearing. To my knowledge, we can't lift anything over 25 pounds for at least 4 weeks.

Most Active