Update

Lina_Ann
on 1/8/18 8:32 pm

Hi all,

It's been 12 hours since RNY surgery and I'm feeling pretty good.

I ended up being 30 minutes late this morning because the roads were soooo bad in Ottawa. Thankfully my surgeon was very understandable and was even late herself, lol.

Getting put to sleep was mostly a breeze. I started having trouble breathing and started to panic, but knocked out right after that.

When I woke up from surgery, my pain scale was around a 6/10. Ive been given tramodol and dilauded twice so far and it seems to be bringing my pain down a lot. They said I am doing really well and will get to go home tomorrow instead of on Wednesday like planned.

I am in a semi-private room with a girl my age that got hit my a car and thrown 20 feet. Her whole body was broken. She was extremely rude (which is understandable I guess) but kept screaming at nuesss and even said "I don't want any black nurses helping me". I felt really uncomfortable so they changed me to a private.

Ive mangaged to have about 10oz of water and 3oz of vegetable broth. Still have not peed or passed gas.

Thank you all for the support. It has helped me SO much. I could not be happier with the way recovery is going.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

Amy R.
on 1/8/18 8:59 pm

Glad you checked in; you're even lucid already which is a definite bonus!

I'm happy that you get to go home tomorrow. We recover so much better in our own surroundings. Don't be surprised if you have a rough day or two this week. It sometimes doesn't hit us the day of or the day right after. We then worry that something is wrong when we hit that almost universal bump.

Sip and walk and rest and you'll be good to go before you know it.

Lina_Ann
on 1/8/18 9:07 pm

Thanks :) I'm so excited to sleep in my own bed and snuggle with my 120 pound dog! Lol. Maybe one day I'll be just as light as her ;P

NatureLover888
on 1/8/18 9:32 pm
RNY on 12/29/17

PS I would be concerned about the dog if she or he ever lays their head or body on your stomach when you are sleeping. Your body is kind of fragile for about 3 weeks after the surgery...be careful...my advice. If the dog lays its body on your belly, it could be very painful. We aren't supposed to bend over for 6 weeks nor lift anything over 25 pounds for at least 4 weeks.

Lina_Ann
on 1/8/18 10:59 pm

Oh no, she lays beside me but not on me whatsoever! The most I'll get is her snout resting on my chest. Lol

NatureLover888
on 1/8/18 9:30 pm, edited 1/8/18 1:30 pm
RNY on 12/29/17

Thanks for the update! So glad that the pain meds are working. Getting in a private room is GREAT! Do they have you on an IV of fluids to keep you hydrated? They did for me, but strangely insisted on me swallowing some pills that didn't work and gave me an itchy allergic reaction instead of giving me Dilaudid in the IV, which works splendidly. I had to beg again and again to get Dilaudid in pill form, which is a VERY good painkiller. I've never had an allergic reaction to it, and my body is super sensitive and I'm allergic to quite a lot of medications.

Glad to hear you are able to get out sooner than you though. I would be concerned about not peeing at all...keep an eye on that if you aren't getting IV fluids. I did pee in the hospital, but it was a very small amount, dark color and really stinky (sorry if TMI).

Would love to hear more about your experience! My surgery was 12/29/17 and I have lost over 20 pounds so far in just this short period of time! (though my body tends to retain water and I HAVE lost weight rapidly in the past due to this fact, a pound is still a pound!)

Best wishes for continued success on your journey to your goal! PS What is your goal weight...so you have any ideas? I'm 5'8 and my dream weight is 145-150, toned, strong and in shape!

Lina_Ann
on 1/8/18 11:06 pm

Yes I'm on an IV! I have peed a few drops...lol. They said if I do not pee they won't discharge me.

i actually haven't had any pills. They give me liquid pain killers and either liquid diluaded or a needle. It's about 2am now and I can't slesp so I am sitting here drinking water.

I will definitely be updating weekly for the first month. My goal weight is about 125lbs. I'm 5'2. I plan on joining a gym once my surgeon gives me the ok :)

Stitch83
on 1/9/18 12:35 am
RNY on 02/26/18

Glad to hear you are doing well. Hopefully pain management continues to be good!

HW: 285 SW: 260 CW: 134 Dr. Grantcharov, St. Michael's

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

karenp8
on 1/9/18 5:49 am - Brighton, IL

So happy to see your update! I had been thinking about you this morning--got on my tablet and here's your update. Sounds like things are going well. Just keep sipping and walking when you can to get the gas moving out of your system. It sounds like you are right on track. Welcome to the losers bench and the start of a whole new life. You will surprise even yourself with what you can accomplish!

Shannon S.
on 1/9/18 8:20 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Great news. Wishing you a speedy recovery!