How dangerous is taking medication capsules after surgery?

SassyGirlTN
on 1/13/18 7:14 pm

I take 4 pills every day for depression. Does anyone have an experience where they still took capsule form medicine immediately following surgery?

I admit this is one area I feel like my WLS has brushed me off.

Any advice welcomed.

HW 293 CW 275 GW 175

Start of liquid diet: 275.4

Surgery date - 2.13.18!!!

hollykim
on 1/13/18 7:54 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 14, 2018 at 3:14 AM Pacific Time, SassyGirlTN wrote:

I take 4 pills every day for depression. Does anyone have an experience where they still took capsule form medicine immediately following surgery?

I admit this is one area I feel like my WLS has brushed me off.

Any advice welcomed.

I took capsules immediately after surgery with no problem.

The capsules are made from gelatin so basically melt.

Lina_Ann
on 1/13/18 11:18 pm, edited 1/13/18 3:18 pm

Your doctor/surgeon would tell you if it was not good. Like above, capsules are made of a gelatin shell and dissolve pretty quickly.

if medications start bothering your pouch or sleeve, please call your doctor

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

Amy R.
on 1/14/18 7:01 am

I take capsules and pills and have since probably three days or so postop. In the beginning I had to take them one at a time - now I swallow a whole handful without any problem.

If you're concerned and you're feeling brushed off by your surgeon run it by a pharmacist. Some stuff really shouldn't be crushed or broken anyway and it would be good for you to know what's what.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/14/18 9:30 am

Over 9 years post op I still prefer capsules. I was talking pills and capsules a few days post op.

But to this day I may have problem swallowing big pills like large multi or calcium citrate large pills. I prefer capsules, or I break the large pills at least in half. Small pills - no issues at all, even right after the surgery.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

theAntiChick
on 1/15/18 6:28 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

My surgeon has us taking pills/capsules, in her words smaller than an M&M, the next day after surgery. I find capsules easier to swallow than pills because they tend to "stick" less. About 1/2 of the stuff I take every day is in capsules.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/15/18 1:35 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Another capsule from right after surgery person here.

No issues.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

missc_26
on 1/15/18 11:11 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

I also need to take medication for depression/anxiety disorder. I was originally on slow realease tablets & found after surgery these would some times not absorb properly, so it was a rollercoaster :(

I switched to capsules & it has been brilliant. They absorb well & i get a consistent dose each day. Good on you for asking questions, it's not an area in our lives we can afford to mess with.

Go well :)

Nknerr
on 1/16/18 8:44 am
VBG on 12/07/17

Trust either your surgeon or the medical people from the bariatric center. There are some medications with long half-lives, so if you miss them for a week, you will be fine. I know they held my antidepressant (Zoloft****il I hit the one week post surgery mark. I didn't really notice the difference.

Janet P.
on 1/16/18 11:03 am

You don't say what type of surgery you're having. If you will have any malabsorption post-op (RNY or DS), make sure you adjust your meds accordingly.

Otherwise no issues at all (no danger) to taking capsules. As others have said, capsules are the preferred form because the capsule is made of gelatin and will dissolve.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active