I tried. I really tried.

theAntiChick
on 2/5/18 8:06 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

It sounded like you are pre-op... does your surgeon really have you on a CLEAR liquid diet 2 weeks pre-op, or are you post-op? It makes a HUGE difference.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Newbie2U
on 2/5/18 8:12 am

Pre-op. Sorry about that.

theAntiChick
on 2/5/18 8:35 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

No worries. You'll have to clear this up with your surgeon, then, if you're unable to tolerate his pre-op instructions.

Personally, I'd have told any surgeon demanding a 2 week CLEAR liquid diet pre-op to stuff it unless he gave me a REALLY good reason for it. One of my screening criteria for a surgeon was whether the pre- and post- op diets jived with what I was taught about nutrition in nursing school.

Newbie2U
on 2/5/18 8:46 am

They say it helps shrink the liver to make the stomach easier to get to in surgery. Is that not correct?

theAntiChick
on 2/5/18 10:24 am, edited 2/5/18 3:00 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Caveat: I am NOT saying to ANYONE to ignore their physician's protocols. You're letting this person operate on you, you should be following his/her instructions to the letter. NEVER substitute the opinion of a random person on the internet for the advice of your physician.

I am not a doctor, I do not play one on TV, I do not know your medical situation, and I am NOT giving you or anyone else medical advice.

That being said, I am a nurse, and I know a bit about how the body works and what kinds of pre- and post-operative protocols are common/standard. I demand a lot of explanations from those on my medical team as to why they are using particular protocols or treatments. If they can't give me what I consider good reasons for something that seems "off" to me, I do more research and discuss it with them again, or I have been known to leave a physician and find another when they are insistent on something that they can't explain sufficiently to me.

As for pre- and post-operative diets for WLS, here's what my research has turned up:

Opinions vary as to how much a liquid diet helps shrink the liver pre-op. But even the physicians that believe it is significant, usually prescribe a full liquid diet or a modified liquid diet, not a CLEAR liquid diet.

The liver gets fatty (assuming that alcohol induced liver damage is not part of the problem) typically because of lots of sugar and carbs in the diet. Sometimes to a lesser extent because of excessive fats in the diet. So any diet that severely restricts fats and sugars/carbs can lead to reduced fat on the liver. It doesn't need to be clear liquid.

A CLEAR liquid diet is normally prescribed when the stomach and digestive system need relative rest. Post-op it's not uncommon to have a clear liquid diet for several days to a couple of weeks in order to stay hydrated and get a certain amount of nutrients, but still not put a strain on the healing tissue.

If you're on a clear liquid diet for 2 weeks before, it's probably very likely you'll be on a clear liquid diet for 2 weeks after. That's a month (or more) on an incredibly restricted diet. Physicians tend to not look at the entirety of the experience for the patient, nor do they tend to consider the likelihood of non-compliance. It's incredibly important to not "slip" and eat solid foods post-op, but if you've been starving for 2 weeks already, it's a lot more likely you'll violate the prescription post-op when it's critical that you not.

My surgeon (who taught bariatric surgery at one of our leading medical schools) said that unless she sees indication that someone has a fatty liver, she doesn't put them on a heavily restricted diet pre-op. My instructions were to drink 2-3 protein shakes a day, and have one low-fat, "healthy" meal for 2-3 weeks before surgery. I was also allowed snacks of nuts, veggies, and/or small amounts of fruit if needed. She is of the opinion that a 2 week liquid diet is not going to have all that much impact on liver size, that it takes quite a bit longer than that to significantly reduce a fatty liver.

My surgeon prescribes a modified liquid diet - anything liquid plus yogurt (without fruit) and pudding post-op for 2 weeks. The only time she puts anyone on a clear liquid diet is the remainder of the day after surgery, and if they're having any kind of complication.

There are surgeons out there who put patients on a clear liquid diet for 2 weeks post op as well, and don't allow for ANY protein drinks, even the ones that are clear. I won't use a surgeon *****quires this, either because I know how important protein is to healing.

The problem is that much of these practices don't have a lot of scientific evidence behind them, one way or the other. Physicians only know what they've been taught, combined with the experiences they have with their patients. There are still physicians out there teaching patients that if they drink with a straw post-WLS they'll damage their pouch/sleeve. That's total bunk.

Fact is, there are HUGE variations between physicians on the pre- and post-operative plans. Patients should educate themselves, and question their physicians when something doesn't seem right. If they're not confident in what the surgeon is telling them to do, they need to clear it up before surgery, or find another surgeon. I asked a LOT of questions up front about all of this and was 100% comfortable with my surgeon's protocols before I even started the pre-op testing, diet, and approvals process.

theAntiChick
on 2/5/18 7:37 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Eggface has some great suggestions here:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2016/05/liqui d-phase-for-post-weight-loss.html

If you can tolerate dairy, her "double milk" recipe about half-way down the page may help you a lot until you figure out what your body will tolerate and what it won't.

Newbie2U
on 2/5/18 8:08 am

Unfortunately, my surgeon's diet is really strict and milk is not allowed.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/6/18 8:32 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Neither is "real" food -- but that was ok?

Hmmm.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Grim_Traveller
on 2/5/18 8:53 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The smell is what affects many people. If you haven't already, try drinking directly from a blender bottle. That reduces any odors.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NYMom222
on 2/5/18 9:06 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I know every Doc is different...but he is not really requiring 'clear' if he has premier protein on it. I would call them. Personally I find the powders better shaken with milk or cashew milk.

I have heard Pea Protein is disgusting, so that doesn't surprise me.

The only one I found tolerable in water was Syntrax fuzzy navel- over-diluted with extra sweetener added.

Vitamin Shoppe and GNC you can return opened protein powders you don't like within 30 days if you keep your receipt.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active