Lifestyle

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/18 7:52 am, edited 2/6/18 8:15 am
VSG on 03/28/17

Weight loss vets are always saying that you have to find what works for you as a lifestyle, not as a diet.

To figure out maintenance, I made a list of things that I know I can't sustain for life and another list of things that I can easily sustain. The first list are things I can't make rules about and the second list are things that I don't need rules about.

Then I made a list of foods that I know are healthy in any amount and another list of healthy foods that I struggle to restrict. The first list is now posted on the fridge as my go-to unlimited snacks and the second list are now foods that are only allowed to be part of planned meals or treats.

I feel so relieved that I'm allowing myself to work within my willpower and habit limitations and for the first time I'm feeling like weight maintenance is possible. I'm feeling more gentle and forgiving to myself than I have in a long time.

kitmouse
on 2/6/18 8:51 am
RNY on 07/27/17

It sounds like you're on the right track! I think making lists and posting them is a great way to keep this process of change in the forefront of your mind.

One of the things I've been thinking about lately (and I'm not correcting you AT ALL, it's just something I've been musing over) is the whole idea of a "lifestyle change". You always hear about that. You always read that you're never going to have a permanent outcome until it's honestly a "lifestyle change". But very rarely do you hear that actually expanded upon and explored. I know for myself I tried many times to "change my lifestyle" and make all the appropriate food choices, and it just wouldn't stick.

Recently I've realized it's a whole lot more than just choosing vegetables.

Yes, a lot of it does involve food! But it's things like chopping up veggies when you get them home from the store. And cutting up and separately freezing protein sources. And buying the kitchen things you need so you can cook those healthy choices. And, if you need to, making room in your budget for healthier food choices. And making space in your schedule so you have time to shop, and time to cook. And time to clean your kitchen. And having the things you need, if you need them, to store leftovers. And taking time to plan your meals. And pack your bag for the next day so it's just grab and go. There's a lot more involved that will set you up for those "good choices".

I think the most important thing, though, is the stuff that doesn't involve food choices. Spending time every day reviewing your goals and letting yourself daydream a bit. Setting up your clothes so you can just grab them when you come in from work to do a workout, rather than having to sort through the laundry to find something clean. Making sure everyone in your life knows that this is your time, and defending that.

I am coming to believe that the most important part of a "lifestyle change" for me is believing that THIS IS THE WAY I LIVE. I am a healthy person. I make the choices of a healthy person. I plan things in my life AROUND being healthy, healthy isn't something that happens when I have the time for it. It's been an invaluable shift in focus for me.

Good luck with your efforts!

Gwen M.
on 2/6/18 9:38 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think that many people do think of "lifestyle change" as just relating to food. And, you're right, food is definitely a part of it but my lifestyle encompasses so much more than just the food stuff and I've had to make systemic changes. Just changing the food aspect wouldn't have been enough.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gina 21 Years Out
on 2/6/18 10:34 am - Burleson, TX

You took the words right off my fingers :)

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/18 10:43 am
VSG on 03/28/17

What would you say were some non-food changes that are really important for your weight maintenance?

Nikke2003
on 2/6/18 11:56 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I go to therapy. I started during the six month supervised diet before surgery and did it for about 3 years. Then, took a break and when I noticed myself needing some emotional/mental support... I got back into it in October. The difference, for me, since then has been huge.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Gwen M.
on 2/7/18 7:43 am
VSG on 03/13/14

For me, it's all about creating a life that doesn't revolve around food. Instead, I make choices to focus my life on exercise, my family, my education, and other pursuits that don't relate to food. It's a huge change in mindset for me because food used to rule, quite literally, every waking moment for me.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/18 10:07 am

Without a doubt- exercise first thing in the morning. Beyond that - the forgiveness factor in veggie centered low-fat post op eating.

Shannon S.
on 2/7/18 5:16 pm, edited 2/7/18 9:16 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Just beautifully said. This really resonates with me in so many ways. I've become so good at planning my life out it is like second nature. I even started setting up my clothes (like you mentioned), so I can throw them on and get out the door with my dog. Packing my lunch, setting up my pill box with vitamins, going to GNC before I run out of my favorite protein drink, and carefully choosing my foods at the grocery store are just some of the things I do to ensure my success. For the first time in my life these things make me happy, which makes such a huge difference. Seeing the beauty in it all, and not viewing it as the daunting task I did before is a life changer!!!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/6/18 11:25 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I like this idea - it sounds like a logical approach and having the list right there should help in making good choices. Thanks for sharing!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1271 views