Serious Concern About Psych Med Absorption with RNY or DS

babettes_feast
on 2/8/18 8:26 am

Thanks for this reassurance. I'm wondering if maybe the RNY might be a better option for me than a DS.

The surgeons at Mass General's satellite hospital, Newton-Wellesley are doing the loop DS/SIPS. My surgeon. Sheila Partridge, did my sleeve and she'll be doing my revision as well. She was just voted a Boston Top Doc. which really has substance given this is Boston. Their hospital is also a Bariatric Center of Excellence, etc. I trust her implicitly.

They do need to update their website though: https://www.nwh.org/center-for-weight-loss-surgery/treatment-options/surgical-treatment-options

Donna L.
on 2/8/18 8:37 am, edited 2/8/18 12:37 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Part of the problem the RNY might have is that the duodenum is completely bypassed, and with the DS/SIPS it is not, so some drugs actually don't absorb less with the DS, but they do for the RNY. Iron is the same way, actually...which I was unaware of myself until I spoke to people here and did research. It depends where the drug sites of action are, really. Some drugs, like metformin, actually absorb *more* after a gastric bypass to the point where they might even be toxic.

But, it sounds like you have a great team working for you though :) I researched the SIPS/SADI procedure quite a bit. I was bummed my GERD made it and the DS poor choices. If you want any studies let me know.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Grim_Traveller
on 2/8/18 4:43 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

One of the major considerations should be gerd. Even if you don't think you have it, getting a scope to get a closer look is important. With any acid issues, you'd be better off with RNY.

My program was at Faulkner/Brigham.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Donna L.
on 2/8/18 6:39 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Grim's absolutely right. If I could do it all over again.... well, I wouldn't be having surgery next week.

GERD is no joke.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

jenorama
on 2/8/18 9:21 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Oh **** girl. You're having surgery next week?

Jen

Donna L.
on 2/11/18 6:56 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Monday the 19th. Surgery snook up on me. It still seems far away, but the liquid diet reminds me it's not, that's for sure!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/8/18 5:54 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I think Newton Wellesley is doing SADI now (but not true DS).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Donna L.
on 2/8/18 6:40 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Nice thing about being near Boston is many traditional DS surgeons live on the coast and travel isn't so bad with high-speed options available.

babettes_feast
on 2/11/18 7:25 am
babettes_feast
on 2/11/18 7:26 am
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1348 views