Monday Meat Day!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/19/18 8:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Hello protein-loving friends,

I could use some inspiration for new ways to cook meat. Anybody care to swap recipes??

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

on 3/19/18 8:59 am
RNY on 08/05/19

This has been my go-to lunch lately-- green salsa chicken in the Instant Pot, though you could do it in the crock pot or oven too.

Throw all of the following into a slow cooker or pressure cooker:

• boneless chicken thighs
  • 1 jar green salsa (salsa verde), I like the stuff in a can
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 small container plain Greek yogurt
  • half a bag of shredded Mexican cheese (cheddar/jack)

Coo****il the chicken is done, then shred it and make sure everything is all mixed up.

For non-WLS'ers, you can put this in tortillas or serve it over rice. I just eat it plain!

Kristi T.
on 3/19/18 9:06 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I did this last week but used the red salsa from Pace, it was good but I definitely like the green better!

NYMom222
on 3/19/18 7:24 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

One of my favorites. I use pork loin, brown hunks of it in the IP and throw the green salsa on with some adobo and cumin.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

CJ On Orcas
on 3/19/18 9:14 am
RNY on 09/09/16

Hamburger or turkey spaghetti sauce with (or without) spaghetti squash is always, always my favorite.

Pureed tomatoes, cooked ground meat, package of fire roasted bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, spices in the slow cooker and cook all day

I make a lot and freeze in portions.

on 3/19/18 9:16 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I've never made my own spaghetti sauce, but making one with roasted peppers sounds fabulous! What kind of spices do you use? Do you use a mix, or make up your own?

CJ On Orcas
on 3/19/18 9:26 am
RNY on 09/09/16

Lol. I am one of those cooks who just throws things in. Right now I like that 21 seasoning blend from Trader Joes. I also have a huge container of italian seasoning. Salt, pepper, and we have a herb garden that I usually get sprigs of rosemary, thyme, and oregano when it is growing.

Homemade spaghetti sauce is soooo much better than bought. You can make a big pot of it. I usually use two pounds of meat, and I us a pound of ground hamburger and a pound of ground turkey. One package of the fire roasted peppers fom Trader Joe or other places have the three pepper blend (frozen). Two big cans of pureed or crushed tomatoes. One onion, I use one package of sliced mushrooms. Sometimes I add a shredded carrot, or zucchini, but sauce is good without those. Only hing is you habe to make a new recipe in MFP if you switch up ingredients. I have like 5 different spaghetti sauce recipes in MFP.

on 3/19/18 9:29 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Oh wow, this sounds MAGICAL! You've inspired me, I'm going to visit Trader Joe's for some peppers and seasoning and make a big batch of this for lunches this week. :)

CJ On Orcas
on 3/19/18 9:49 am
RNY on 09/09/16

Nothing magical. I think it was PatR who was eating spaghetti sauce the first few months. I usually have a 1/2 cup scoop with same amount of spaghetti squash. I make a whole squash, put it in ziploc bags of 1/2cup or 1 cup and freeze it, then thaw a bag for dinner. It gets a little watery when you thaw it but usually stays crispy and I just pour out the liquid. And parmesan cheese. I think my portion ends up about a cup but sometimes I will eat all of the squash. I have a love affair with spaghetti squash since wls.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/19/18 10:03 am
RNY on 08/21/12

OK, this is NOT snarky.

I put meat on the grill or in a pan, and cook it for a while. Then I turn it over and cook it some more. Then I eat it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1439 views