Just because we don't want to face it doesnt make it disappear

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/18 5:14 am

so how many of our children are using drugs or are also morbidly obese ( which at the very least means they're using excess calories for a " thanksgiving satiety high " and inappropriate comfort.

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/18 5:51 am

Just a suggestion let's leave the kids and drugs out of conversation.... I think enough for one week with kids drugs etc don't you???Agree to disagree and don't bring up. Sort of like politics.

Keep it lighter Ava.... this post is not going to end well....

I am Saying this nicely and hope your feeling better today.

Megan

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/18 6:08 am

You were talking about OUR kids not transfer addiction with those of us that have had WLS.

I was far far from condescending. I was offering advice to try and help you.

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/18 8:32 am

You can only try to lead a horse to water but not make it drink. We all make our own bed and have to lie in it. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Good luck, no reaching you. DONE.

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/18 11:48 am

That is fine and believe me only way I would respond to a post would be if compelled to help someone you have innocently hurt. I see what the others have said all long it took me time but your colors showed through.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/23/18 7:46 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Researchers are already acknowledging this problem and finding "honest statistics" about post-op transfer addiction.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/887243

This very recent study looked at existing research and found that 8% of patients develop new, moderate-to-high-risk, drinking behavior after surgery.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/news/20121015/addiction-r isk-weight-loss-surgery

This study from 2012 looked at about 150 patients and saw an increased risk for alcohol abuse at two years post-op.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Amy R.
on 3/23/18 11:09 am
On March 23, 2018 at 12:53 PM Pacific Time, quutgrrl wrote:

I?m fine and I don?t appreciate the condescending attitude Megan .

Im beginning a conversation about a huge problem no one wants to acknowledge because they believe they don't know how to solve it .

Excess food addiction, morbid obesity diabetes were exactly similar so called unsolvable problems until someone devised a surgical way to help . Maybe that's exactly what druggies need . But there is a transfer addiction problem with US post op . We need to accumulate honest statistics and disseminate solutions that worked for others in our community.

Ok. Let me try this a different way because I honestly believe that somewhere in there you actually do want to help and prevent problems/addictions in children and also to address excess food addiction as well.

I am genuinely trying to understand. You post in this thread that you want to work with others to address this because you feel it's not being given the attention it needs (I actually agree with that).

Specifically then, what are you looking for from us? I think this is the second thread concerning the issue within a couple of days. I may be wrong, but I assume you are introducing this here because you feel there are things WSL post-ops can and should be doing to make a positive difference regarding this issue.

In all sincerity I am asking, what are you hoping or expecting us to do? You must have a general concept of how WLS post-ops can impact the situation. What is it?

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/18 11:33 am

As former excess food addicts I think we're in a rare position to help.

Valerie G.
on 3/23/18 1:58 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Again....many of us are not and never were food addicts. Stop trying to rope us into your problems.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Amy R.
on 3/24/18 12:17 am
On March 23, 2018 at 6:33 PM Pacific Time, quutgrrl wrote:

As former excess food addicts I think we're in a rare position to help.

I agree 100% that former food addicts are in a unique position to help others with those issues.

And I am completely sincere when I say that I would love to be a part of any program that would assist those at risk or those in active food addiction. Actually there are probably several other OH members who would as well.

But what do you suggest we to do to start?

Most Active