Vyvanse experiences

apw0
on 3/27/18 7:13 am - Doylestown, PA

For those of you that have been prescribed Vyvanse for binge eating disorder, has it helped? What were the side effects? I'm thinking of asking my surgeon about it. And since I have a DS, Im wondering how my body will react to it.

Thanks!

apw0
on 3/27/18 7:18 am - Doylestown, PA

I should have done a search before I posted my question. I see there are several posts about it already. So....feel free to disregard.

Have A Great Day!!!

lilacs78
on 3/27/18 7:21 am
VSG on 03/30/18

I've been on it for 2 years, both in combination with antidepressants and for an eating disorder, I'm not really a fan as it keeps me awake 18 plus hours, then you crash hard and get REALLY hungry. The embarrassing thing is people notice, I've had family/friends tell me to shut up on car trips because it makes me babble so much, it's noticeable. It's a running joke now, these days I only take it 2-3 times a week, I don't know why I keep picking up the refills I have plenty of bottles unopened. The sleep when it's wearing off isn't restful, and I'm always hot, sweaty with a super fast pulse when I take it. And I'm only on 30mg

Gwen M.
on 3/27/18 10:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm sorry you've had this experience. It hasn't been mine - thank goodness! I take 40mg once a day. I take it at 10am and have no problem getting to sleep at my regular bedtime of 11pm.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gwen M.
on 3/27/18 10:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Vyvanse has been a game changer for me. The only negative side effect I've experienced is dry mouth, which can be an issue for teeth, so I'm taking steps to mitigate that.

I recommend talking to your PCP as a starting point, and then a psychiatrist if you have access to one.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

apw0
on 3/27/18 10:57 am - Doylestown, PA

Thanks ladies. I appreciate the feedback. I have already spoken with my therapist, and he said it may be a good idea and that I should speak with my surgeon for a script. I was on phentermine some time ago, so I was thinking the Vyvanse would be about the same.

Scary.Airy
on 3/27/18 12:06 pm

I have been taking Vyvanse for the last year for binge eating disorder, with wonderful results.

I take a 30mg first thing in the morning when I wake up.. and have the option of taking a top-up of another 10mg in the afternoon. That's what I found was working the best for me. A higher morning dosage and I was buzzing, and I found 30mg often wears off in the afternoon.

Side effects: If I take it too late in the day, I am wide-eyed at night.

Also... sure, it helps you focus... but you have to aim that laser focus at what you want it aimed at :) it's super easy to focus on the wrong thing, haha.

No other side effects that I've experienced, but do your research, there are some medical studies that have shown damage to the part of your brain responsible for motivation (ie. your motivation centre).

The most important thing I can say is that treatment for binge eating using Vyvanse INCLUDES Cognative Behavioural Therapy and help from a dietitian. It is not meant to just take a pill and magic happens. The CBT, to be honest, was probably the biggest part of recovering from the disorder.

Hope that helps - do a lot of research beyond messageboards!

:)