Favorite Ways to Stay Warm?

MeerKat1994
on 3/27/18 9:22 am
RNY on 05/09/17

Brrr. Like many, I have turned into a permanent snowman. From my fingers to my toes, I am always always frozen. To the point that it's honestly uncomfortable.

Anyway, I'm looking for some good tips to stay warm. Right now the only things getting me through are my heated blankets and heaps of hot coffee. Other ideas? Also, does this seem to go away once in maintenance?

Can't wait to move to the south for grad school (crosses fingers and prays"one more year")

Erin T.
on 3/27/18 9:29 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I own a stupidly large number of hoodies and blankets. I also now shower at night because a hot shower will stave it off better than anything else.

I'm now 8-9 months into maintenance and it's only marginally better.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

CJ On Orcas
on 3/27/18 9:37 am
RNY on 09/09/16

Ditto Erin. I have been cold since I had RnY 18 months ago. I take a hot shower at night now to get my hands and feet warm before bed.

I also own a ridiculous number of sweaters, mittens, gloves and about 57 pair of warm socks.

Lately I started having menopause symptoms - I actually hit menopause 5 years ago but a lot of fat kept symptoms away. Once I lost weight hot flashes kicked in, so I am either freezing, or burning up for about two minutes and then freezing again.

On the upside, I am now getting good exercise from ripping off and then pulling back on my clothes.

MeerKat1994
on 3/27/18 9:48 am
RNY on 05/09/17

Baha I appreciate that positive attitude. Good perspective about that added exercise ;)

MarinaGirl
on 3/27/18 9:42 am

I wear wool t-shirts (short & long sleeved) and tank tops year round. They work great keeping you warm AND wicking away moisture and keeping you cool in humid/hot weather, and are also great with too cold A/C. I like the Smartwool brand and keep an eye out for sales. These are the basis for layering under sweaters, sweatshirts, and coats.

MarinaGirl
on 3/27/18 9:46 am, edited 3/27/18 2:46 am

My sister lives in the tropics and swears by wool clothing. I was doubtful until I tried them myself; great for keeping you warm and cool. I would think they would also be perfect for people experiencing hot flashes.

MeerKat1994
on 3/27/18 9:51 am
RNY on 05/09/17

I'll take a look! Are they something you could easily wear under other clothing?

MarinaGirl
on 3/27/18 10:12 am

Yes. They're not thick, which is why they're great for layering under shirts, sweaters, sweatshirts, hoodies, jackets, and coats.

MarinaGirl
on 3/27/18 10:17 am

I also like Smartwool socks. I wear the low cut, micro, or no show socks year round and even to bed sometimes. If my feet are cold, I don't sleep well.

The Salty Hag
on 3/27/18 9:43 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I wear layers...always. I have been known to wear leggings and big chunky sweaters or hoodies-with the hood up and tied tight, in my house...in July. I also always take a sweater or jacket with me where ever I go. Maybe get some of those hand warming packets? There were days this past winter when I wore gloves in my house because I've never bought the hand warming things. I'm also covered up if I'm not puttering around my house. I'm also not above wearing two pairs of thick socks. ( I'm considering buying an ear warmer type of headband, or ear muffs for next winter. )

I do all this and I live in the south. I think I'd freeze to death up north.

Do you include heated throws and mattress pads in with the heated blankets? I love my heated mattress pad.

I have a cylindrical towel warmer I use to warm up my clothes and my towels. It's in my bathroom.

This has been my experience since my surgery and I'm almost 5 years out.

I'm either freezing, or overheated thanks to impending menopause. Yay. SOO fun, lemme tell ya. The various layers get taken off and put back on 10 times a day...haha.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1402 views