Regularity to Constipation in 3 little iron pills

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/22/18 8:28 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

After 3 years of good labs, my labs are finally off. Low iron - I am post-men so I have been getting away with no iron, but not any longer. OMG, iron is instant constipation. I added the benefiber to my yougurt, but still need more. Ihavent had to deal with constipation since my first year post op.

Now have a Rx for ferralax - you guessed it iron combined with a lax in a single pill. Hope it helps.

Sharon

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/22/18 9:02 am

OTC carbonyl iron is supposed to be better for nit onky absorption but also less constipating. It needs to be taken with vit C for better absorption.

That and heme iron that should help even more.

Iron - make sure you take it away from calcium, or any tannins (like in black tea, some other foods, or coffee)

As for current constipation - extra magnesium and miralax work for me.

I use generic miralax (from Costco or Sam's- great price specially when they have discounts on them )

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Citizen Kim
on 4/22/18 10:11 am - Castle Rock, CO

This is exactly how deficiences occur. Your body has good stores when you go into surgery and your labs look great for a year or two or maybe three and then whoosh, into the toilet they go.

We post this all the time to people who think they are getting their vitamins and minerals from what they eat and so are special enough to not have to supplement.

It it way easier to maintain levels than to bring them back up from the toilet!!!

I would suggest Proferrin and daily magnesium to get your iron back up without suffering constipation. Not cheap, but what price your health and comfort?

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/22/18 6:35 pm

You are so righ****ching the trend of the numbers over the years or months I can now predict how much more need to add to prevent bottoming out, or like with iron - how soon I would need another infusions.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/23/18 7:07 am - Burleson, TX

Amen, KIM !!!!

PREVENTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

White Dove
on 4/22/18 12:59 pm - Warren, OH

Since I was past menopause was advised not to take iron after surgery. I lasted five years, then went on supplements. Now at over ten years, have to get infusions.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/27/18 3:12 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

This sounds like what they told me - I only lasted 3.5 years without iron supps.

Sharon

Valerie G.
on 4/22/18 3:26 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

chelated iron is the only that didn't constipate me

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MarinaGirl
on 4/22/18 5:42 pm

I take Proferrin (heme iron) and have no problems with constipation.

MeerKat1994
on 4/22/18 7:01 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

I take EZ Melts Iron from Amazon. Not sure if they are the highest quality, but they seem good. And tasty!

Most Active