Finding a surgeon in South Jersey

Chrissy2299
on 5/14/18 3:08 pm - Atlantic City, NJ

Hi all...this is my 1st time posting. I'm interested in having bariatric surgery done. I cannot find a surgeon close to South Jersey who accepts Horizon Medicare Blue Advantage HMO...most surgeons that accept this are in North Jersey. I'm willing to travel up to an hour but no more than that. Even Tom's River would work!

TIA

MrsGrodberg
on 5/14/18 4:52 pm
VSG on 02/29/16

Hi, I'm in Beachwood (just south of Tons River). I had my surgery done by Dr Sowemimo (Prime Surgicare) at CentraState in Freehold. It's a drive for you but if he takes your insurance, I swear by the man. He's done my gall bladder (emergency surgery), hernias twice and then my sleeve (and another hernia). I love his practice so much I made his wife my primary! I'm in healthcare so I deal with a lot of doctors offices and they are truly just good people who take their jobs as healers seriously.

Whoever you find, good luck to you! Best thing I ever did for myself. Not just for the weight loss, but my health is great for he first time in my adult life.

Chrissy2299
on 5/14/18 6:21 pm - Atlantic City, NJ

Thank you so much! I certainly will look into him!

bethmal
on 5/14/18 4:55 pm
RNY on 12/26/17

Would you consider Wilmington, DE? My surgeon Caitlyn Halbert is with Christiana Weight Loss Management Center. I have no idea what insurance they accept but it's worth the call. 302-320-4175

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

Chrissy2299
on 5/14/18 6:23 pm - Atlantic City, NJ

Thank you for the information! I don't think I can use my insurance out of state but will certainly look into it!

Kathleen W.
on 5/15/18 5:49 pm - Lancaster, PA

I toyed with the idea of wls when I lived in Manasquan. If I followed through at that point, I would have had it at Jersey Shore Medical. If you don't mind travel, I know two excellant surgions out of Lancaster, PA. Dr. James Ku and Dr. Joseph McPhee. They are out Lancaster General Hospital and this hospital is a center of excellance.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/16/18 9:31 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I did some quick googling and came up with a couple of doctors.

First, I went on the Medicare Doctor Finder and looked for "general surgeons" to get a list of doctors who are in-network. Then I googled "bariatric surgeon south Jersey" and compared the lists I came up with.

I know nothing about New Jersey geography, and you don't say what town you live in, but maybe one of these would be close enough?

Dr. Abkin (Florham Park): http://www.njbariatricsurgeons.com/

Dr. Attia (Vineland): http://esasjbariatrics.com/

Dr. Onopchen****ape May Court House): http://www.atlanticareweightloss.com/

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Chrissy2299
on 5/16/18 9:39 am - Atlantic City, NJ

Thank you so much! Going to look into this! I appreciate your help!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/16/18 9:39 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Glad to help! Fingers crossed that you can find a doctor :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Knitter215
on 5/17/18 5:53 am
VSG on 08/23/16

I had my surgery done at Pennsylvania Hospital in Philly. My surgeon, Dr. David Wernsing, accepts Medicare and I would assume everyone in the University of Pennsylvania medical system does - you could have your surgery done at Pennsylvania Hospital, Prebyterian or Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. It is an amazing program. In fact, I see my team this afternoon. I'm 20 months post VSG, down 115 pounds and look like an entirely different person.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)