Making sugar-free popsicles

TheWombat
on 6/3/18 12:57 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Several people have recommended that I stock the freezer with sugar-free popsicles for when I come home from surgery. However, I haven't been able to find any (I'm in a rural part of Ireland). However, I did find some plastic thingies for making your own popsicles. I think my culinary skills might stretch to the task. If you have any suggestions for liquids to use, please let me know.

I'm planning on trying water with a touch of sugar-free cordial. U.S. readers my not be familiar with the term "cordial" used in this context; it's a fruit juice concentrate that is added to water.

Teresa G.
on 6/3/18 2:08 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

Can you get the liquid protein in Ireland? If so, that might be good to use with water for popsicles. I use it to make my jello...giving each serving 8 g of protein.

But I think your sugar-free cordial would work great!

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

TheWombat
on 6/3/18 2:45 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

I haven't seen liquid protein, only the powder. But building on your idea, I could make a fruit smoothie with protein powder (once I'm allowed that), and make popsicles out of that. Since these popsicles are tiny, I could probably make four out of a normal-sized smoothie; which would probably be the perfect amount post-op. If this heat wave we're in continues, it will be a really nice treat.

The Salty Hag
on 6/4/18 9:03 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I would caution you about having too much fruit in the losing phase. Too much-especially juice may stall weight loss. Apple juice with no added sugar has 28 grams of sugar per 8 ounce serving. I'd avoid fruit juice if possible. If you have flavored water enhancers available, ( Mio, Dasani Flavor Drops, and similar products ) those would be a better choice for making sugar free popsicles.

Berries may be okay with your nutritionist's blessing, but I'd avoid the rest until you hit your goal weight. Depending on your eating plan, fruit may be a no-go until you reach the final phase, or a few months out, anyway. That may seem drastic, but you really want to lose as much weight as you can as quickly as you can.

At 5 years out, I can't eat most fruit. My body sees it as pure sugar, and I get sick from it.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/4/18 10:28 am
RNY on 08/05/19

As Audrey mentioned, you'll probably want to avoid fruit while losing weight. You can throw a protein shake and some ice in the blender, though, and make a nice cold drink!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Partlypollyanna
on 6/4/18 3:05 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I have found that if I over ice my protein shake, it's almost like ice cream, maybe a cross between a slurpee and a frosty. It feels like a treat, lol!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/4/18 8:51 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm not sure what products you have available in Ireland, but here in the US I use sugar-free Kool-Aid. It's a powdered mix that comes in a paper packet, you add it to 2L of water. Crystal Light is basically the same thing as well.

A clear protein drink would work as well, but probably not taste as good. I've used "Syntrax Nectar," which comes in a large tub. It looks like this retailer will ship to Ireland:

https://www.iafstore.com/eu/syntrax/nectar-fruits-codp1859

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1421 views