Pre-op diet during a heat wave

TheWombat
on 6/4/18 10:36 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Ireland has been going through a major heat wave, which has caused a few difficulties for me, and I thought I might warn others about it. I suspect that strict diets make us more susceptible to dehydration, so be extra vigilant.

I experience low blood sugar occasionally (I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic) and the other day I felt it happen. I didn't want to break my pre-op diet, but I needed some carbs. Eventually I decided that having a few peanuts would be a good compromise, because I am encouraged to have some protein on my diet. Given that it was an emergency, I thought I handled it rather well. And indeed, the symptoms of low blood sugar subsided.

There was just one little problem: the peanuts were salted. Within about 15 minutes, I was feeling very unwell. I figured it was either dehydration or mild heatstroke, so I guzzled down a bottle of water infused with fruit (it was sugar free) while sitting in an air-conditioned car. Soon I felt better. I was mindful of the heat wave, and drinking what I thought would be enough water, but apparently it wasn't.

After that, I made a conscious effort to have more fluids. However, a few days later, the dehydration or mild heatstoke happened again (without the low blood sugar). So now I'm drinking extra, extra fluids!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/4/18 11:43 am
RNY on 08/05/19

For future reference-- peanuts are not a good source of protein on your post-op diet. You want to look for foods with over 10g protein per 100 calories; nuts are far too high in calories for the protein. You'd be much better off with some chicken, beef jerky, or egg :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

TheWombat
on 6/4/18 12:33 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

I'm a vegetarian, so that wouldn't be an option for me.

TheWombat
on 6/4/18 12:35 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

For protein, I usually go for legumes over nuts.

on 6/4/18 12:36 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Gotcha. In that case, chickpeas would probably be a better choice for a quick snack; I roast mine and top them with cajun seasoning, and they're great for on the go!

TheWombat
on 6/4/18 1:37 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

That's an excellent suggestion!

Julia S.
on 6/7/18 8:08 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

Can you give me directions on how to make these? It sounds like a great snack. Thanks

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

on 6/7/18 8:20 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Preheat your oven to 450.

Get a can of chickpeas, drain and rinse them, and then dry them on a paper towel.

Toss them in a bowl with a little bit of olive oil, and add whatever seasoning you like. I get the premade seasoning mixes from the grocery store, cajun is really good, and you can't go wrong with anything garlicky.

Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until browned and crunchy. Check them often towards the end so they don't burn!

Melody P.
on 6/4/18 1:47 pm - Amarillo, TX

I like granita. It's fairly easy and you can make it with any sugar free liquid. When it's hot(107degrees Fahrenheit here this last Friday) there is nothing better. Or if you can find an ice shaver...those are awesome too!

Most Active