Excess skin

sweetpotato1959
on 6/15/18 10:13 am

Karen,

You are right in that "we must deal with " what we did to our bodies..both the positive and the negative. Thank you for posting it this way because it spurred these thoughts that has the possibility to help others.) If you have developed a hernia-it may be a way to get approval for a portion of the surgery you need. Many people have them and do not know it...umbilical hernia's are common.

(Is that not the reason we are here, to get help for ourselves and better understand ourselves and others?

I have had no insurance in 2 years and it will be 3 more before I have any unless something drastic happens. (Insurance for me alone would be about 1/2 of the income for the two of us..not even possible.) I also need surgery for a bladder repair and blood vessel repair of the labia in addition to PS. ..So I know what it is to have NO plan to get a needed surgery.

Here is my approach to looking at MY situation..If this does not help you, may it help someone else who struggles with this.

Many of my own problems I found between My ears... I decided not to look at my scar as "A problem"..and mine goes from my upper-epigstric to the pubic hairline. It does fade over time.

I see it NOw as an indication " I NOW have control". I had little control over my blood sugars being low,blood sugars of 40 and 50 demand eating, and mine lived there... had to add carbs w/ protein to raise my sugars to acceptable levels to maintain sugar of 80 (A diet of canned tuna or chicken with string beans did not give me any control, but repeated crashes.)When the nutritionist told me what to do, He actually warned me I would gain, to not distress over it, they would help me find the sweet spot of sugar control and weight loss. I actually gained 5 lbs on 800-900 calories, in 2 weeks. then I got a Rx'd protein shake.. with the documentation of eveyhting I had eaten in the two previous weeks... and food diary to maintain further documentation. This is what led to my approval for WLS.I lost about 48 lbs before my surgery date..process took 3-4 months.

When I look at how I was before,.. I am thankful for the wonderful tool I have and My surgeon who was a pioneer and instructor in gastric obesity surgeries.

Having that scar is symbolic of having a new life. I can do many things I could not do before...tie my shoes, touch my toes, take a hike just for fun, walk without shortness of breath, climb stairs. It also enabled me to be healthy enough to take care of my parents and MIL in their final years...and now my husband.

As far as my other needed surgeries, I am doing what i can to limit the distress by limiting weight lifted...and getting off my feet when I have pain in my affected areas. I also do a series of pelvic exercises to strengthen the muscles..that support the bladder.

Cathy H.
on 6/10/18 3:30 pm, edited 6/10/18 8:34 am
VSG on 10/31/16

With all my weight loss, my breasts ended up flat as a pancake, but still enough to fill a C cup. I found that the only bras that work for me are the ones with molded cups. They give me great shape and uplift...even though they are just actually filled with empty skin sacks *giggles

THese are my favorite since I don't like underwires (I can wear underwires now comfortably, but I still don't care for them):

Playtex Secrets Perfectly Smooth Wirefree Bra

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Beam me up Scottie
on 6/12/18 6:45 pm
Plastics are really the only way to get rid of excess skin. If you were SMO- you will need a lot.

I stopped at the LBL. Honestly I can see why people go back in for touch ups years later. The skin does not stay as taunt as normal skin. Will I ever do my thighs and arms? Probably not. I will probably do my chin- that does bother me even a decade out. I just don't have time to take a month off of work.

Scott
sweetpotato1959
on 6/15/18 8:56 am

I found that using a good shapewear , with proper fit... to help keep things from flopping., improve both my mental and physical well being.

Just after I lost 120 lbs, I began a physically demanding job, that came to require "liftiing belts", as part of a safety plan. The boys were jealous of the fact I did not have an external one. I finally told them" when they all wore girdles" they wouldn't have to either...LOL. They were not fans of the idea.

Having and wearing mine also made me feel less tired. Holding the excess still, and in place can facilitate circulation, as long as the articles are not too tight.

A good girdle that covers and envelops all the excess My best one is one of the lower high tops( I have a short waist) and comes to the knees without cutting.It can be tricky bing ftted may be the best option...A good Bra... make sure it has wide straps if you are still bigger than a C. It is really hard to get some sizes- in going to a speciality bra store that does all those post breast surgeries..

Fitting is usually a thing that has to be done only once in a great while... after you find an initial size, even if you loose additional weight, can downsize by way current one fits. Most of the time undergarments can NOT be returned.

.. My surgeon said " you know you NEED PS when your butt sits down before you do." I have not had PS, but doing it would give me the last few pounds to put me to the orig goal/or under.

Valerie G.
on 6/16/18 7:08 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Cool sculpting only freezes and kills fat. You've accomplished this already so don't waste your money there. For me, affordable is lycra shaper garments.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Mell
on 6/17/18 7:30 am

Hey there!

look for longline bras, those help the sides. You also should look for thick jeans. I prefer curvy 360 by Not your Daughters Jeans (NYDJ). I wear dark sundresses with mild prints so no jiggling shows.

i had my tummy done but I have tons of other issues and have leared tobe creative! I also use these Tshirts from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01A9BZRP2?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_m b_pd_title.

they are bigger on top leaving you with a curvy look. I ise them casually, nights out with statement jewelry and at work under blazers.

when I need I use the high waisted spanx that come down to my calf for jumpsuits. This way you do not see the thigh line.

good luck!!!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1459 views