Tespo Liquid Bariatric Vitamins

Cathy H.
on 7/5/18 2:43 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Just happened upon this today, anyone seen or heard of it? If it works, might be great for bypass/DS patients with absorption issues:

https://gettespo.com

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Gwen M.
on 7/5/18 2:58 pm, edited 7/5/18 8:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The last time I looked into the stats, they were woefully insufficient for our needs (based on the ASMBS recommendations).

And the fact that the bariatric supplement part has both the iron and calcium is a big ol' NOPE.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jenorama
on 7/5/18 4:51 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I don't know why so many vitamins combine iron and calcium. It don't make no sense!

Jen

Grim_Traveller
on 7/6/18 3:07 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

If it's a hard tablet, the calcium is the binder -- the "glue" that holds it together.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

chevtow41
on 7/5/18 4:00 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Not sure about bypass but would be laughable for a DS'er

Valerie G.
on 7/6/18 1:54 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Not even close

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Donna L.
on 7/6/18 3:39 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It may work? I don't know. I would not be an early adopter though if it meant my health might be at risk.

There is no real evidence, though, that liquid vitamins are more absorbable than pill forms except for very specific situations. Probably what this does is increase user compliance. That is, if people just can drink a shot they will rather than taking pills. A confounding variable is that non-surgical patients, and people without GI disorders, eat enough food and absorb it so that their regular diet would mask any benefits that might be apparent. I went poking around for studies, particularly for the bariatric vitamins, but came up with zero. To be fair I didn't look too hard, but also bariatric and specific vitamin company formulations don't always have a lot of research. This is because 1) research is really pricey and also 2) only successful research in general is typically published. That is, if a study has a bad result, no one is obliged to publi****

Just going on the values: if you have a DS and use these you're basically crazy. If you have a longer RNY you are also equally ill-advised to use them. The shorter and standard RNY? Ehhhhhh. Maybe? The values are still low, and the RNY has iron absorption issues as it is. It's unwise to gamble. Liquid doesn't necessarily mean more absorbable, either, though.

The best way to absorb vitamins is to minimize malabsorption that is preventable, like taking the correct forms of vitamins (chelated or dry as needed) and not taking calcium and iron together, and taking calcium with other minerals/vitamins, and so on.

Sadly, a lot of gimmicks are around that purport improvement that is unsubstantiated. This may work? The lack of data unfortunately makes it hard to answer the question...and we need tested data and not "hey my labs were great" stories.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Donna L.
on 7/6/18 3:42 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Well. I should say, there isn't overwhelming and convincing evidence liquid vitamins are more absorbed. If you have malabsorption, the malabsorption is typically going to be in effect regardless of liquid or pill form, because it's compound-specific. Any time the duodenum is eliminated from the food pathway, for instance, you absorb less iron. Any time you have a smaller stomach and the rest is removed, you will absorb less B12. You can take more to comepnsate, or use a non-oral route (nasal absorption is actually very good for B12), but anything oral will tend to be subject to the same mechanism preventing it from being absorbed.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1348 views