Doctor says I have to eat every two hours, but what?

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/10/18 5:43 am

Under 6 is normal. Unless you are diabetic on insulin.

Most docs freak up - define hypoglycemia with A1C below 5.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Melody P.
on 7/10/18 6:33 am - Amarillo, TX

I agree. My doctors in the past have freaked out on me. One was recently while i'm off insulin.

White Dove
on 7/9/18 8:45 pm - Warren, OH

The meter is cheap, the test strips are not. If you are going to test you need a prescription for test strips.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/18 8:48 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I did not know that! Thank you, I am calling her int he morning regardless so will ask about this.

White Dove
on 7/9/18 9:13 pm - Warren, OH

You can buy them without a prescription but they run about $1.00 per test strip. Most prescription plans cover the meter and strips. I would recommend the One Touch Delica lancet device and 33 gauge lancets. They are very thin and hurt least of any I have used.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

stacyrg
on 7/10/18 10:07 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I think that's what I use. One of my new post RNY accessories.

NYMom222
on 7/13/18 7:34 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I have bought the test strips on Amazon, you only need a script if you want to use insurance. My insurance would only pay for two strips per day, Amazon worked out the same or cheaper than my co-pay.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/9/18 9:15 pm

No Sugar Added nuts or nut butters saved my BS more times than I can remember. In the first couple of years after I reached the goal, I would get low BS rather often. Way too often if you ask me.

I realized that often very lean protein means would cause my BS to drop.

Most food require insulin to be processed. i.e low fat whey protein shakes used to give me a really bad RH (recative hypoglycemia). Only when I incorporated fats and some carbs to me shakes - I was able to keep my BS from dropping.

read on (google) food insulin index. It may tell you that if your meal is just lean proteins -and your BS is normal, after you have a shake, the body would need insulin to process it and insulin may cause your BS to drop to very low levels.

I carry with me hard candies. If I have just proteins for snack-meal (i.e low sugar beef jerky, or 2 HB eggs) I take 1-2 hard candies and slowly allow them to melt in my mouth. Just 1-2 candies are enough to stabilize my BS. The ahrad candy is a trick since the sugar gets release slowly and gets absorbed in my mouth.

1-2 candies are app 3-4 gr of sugar. Just enough to help my BS after 2 HB eggs. If I am at home -I may sip on 4-6 oz of kombucha app 30-45 min after my meal.

But - I often add olives or avocado to my lean meat, or butter.

So long post op -I often don't need to measure my BS to know it is dropping.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

seattledeb
on 7/9/18 11:48 pm

The doctor advised one action for this problem.

I believe there are many different options. More testing is important.

I've had low blood sugar since my RnY. It started about 18 months out and was bad for about a year. You have a great weight loss. I really don't know VSG but I think just these massive weight losses are hard on many systems in our bodies.

Very low blood sugar feels bad. A panicky shakey, losing your ability to think roller coaster of no fun. For me what worked was eating 5 or 6 meals a day. I became in tune to the early symptoms. Candy or sugar didn't work. It made it worse.

Keep asking the questions! I hope it resolves quickly for you.

Erin T.
on 7/10/18 2:47 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I haven't read any replies you've had yet. But, how can she possibly know it's 'running very low'. What does she consider low? What is your A1c? Are you testing and coming up with numbers where you are low and also symptomatic?

If you haven't already I'd purchase a BG monitor and do some random finger sticks. Non-diabetic (or non-medicated diabetics) can sometimes see numbers into the 50's without feeling abnormal. On the other hand, some folks are feeling low/shakey at 70.

Personally, unless you are feeling poorly I wouldn't change a thing. Eating every couple of hours begets eating every couple of hours - trust me, I know. I added in more meals when I needed to maintain and now I struggle if I can't eat every 3 hours or so with thinking I'm hungry. It's annoying and I wish I could just eat a larger meal and not have to eat so often.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Most Active