Doctor says I have to eat every two hours, but what?

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/18 3:51 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Thank you for your reply! I am going to put in a call to her this morning. I trust her, but there has t been monitoring of my blood tests like others have asked which had not occurred to me should have happened! I am going to buy a meter and ask about a script for strips. I am not going to change anything unless I know I actually do dip down too low. Another thing is the tests determined an under performing thyroid which I will have medicine for starting today. The symptoms I have been having are similar to ones low blood sugar has at times, so it may be the culprit of feeling crappy all the time.

hollykim
on 7/10/18 11:40 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 10, 2018 at 10:51 AM Pacific Time, mershmellow wrote:

Thank you for your reply! I am going to put in a call to her this morning. I trust her, but there has t been monitoring of my blood tests like others have asked which had not occurred to me should have happened! I am going to buy a meter and ask about a script for strips. I am not going to change anything unless I know I actually do dip down too low. Another thing is the tests determined an under performing thyroid which I will have medicine for starting today. The symptoms I have been having are similar to ones low blood sugar has at times, so it may be the culprit of feeling crappy all the time.

honestly? And this is just me, but I would find a new doctor who knows that testing A1c is totally appropriate on a regular basis, cause what else is she neglecting to test?

Grim_Traveller
on 7/10/18 5:40 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'll be blunt, and say that your doctor gave you absolutely horrible advice. Just plain stupid, and possibly dangerous. To advise a WLS patient, especially at your stage -- someone who has rapidly and recently lost a very large amount of weight -- to eat candy every 2 hours is bordering on the criminal. It just further illustrates why we need to do our own research, and not blindly follow everything a medical "professional" tells us.

First, it's not even clear you are suffering from low blood sugar. Based on 2 fasting blood tests? That's moronic. My fasting numbers are in the 60s. You'd need a lot more evidence to be diagnosed as medically hypoglycemic.

If you feel you are suffering from low blood sugar, you certainly should get a meter and test. You likely don't need to do it several times a day, every day, for a long stretch. But as a start, check it fasting every morning, before and after meals, and see how it runs.

If you are getting numbers that are too low, it's more apt to be reactive hypoglycemia than hypoglycemia. The VERY LAST THING a WLS patient should do is treat reactive hypoglycemia with candy, glucose tabs, fruit juice, etc. You will be doing more harm than good.

A mix of protein and fats at each meal is what will keep our blood sugars in a healthy range -- as well as our weight.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/18 8:07 am, edited 7/10/18 1:09 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I definitely did not plan to eat candy every two hours even if that was her suggestion. I called her this morning and she had meant to eat something every two hours, not candy unless I feel ill. However I have decided not to change what I am already doing and just monitor it myself for a short time.

I do feel better eating more carbs, but they are definitely not candy carbs. I would rather eat more fruit and vegetables and whole grains for carbs than candy.

Partlypollyanna
on 7/10/18 11:23 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Oh good! I'm glad that was cleared up - your plan sounds reasonable and will give you data to make informed decisions! Data is good. Hope you feel ok through the process!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

stacyrg
on 7/10/18 10:37 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I disagree a bit with this. As someone with pretty severe RH, I can't raise my number fast enough eating a protein and a fat. If I don't treat with a sugar or a carb, my numbers will continue to plummet. I'm not talking about numbers in the 50's but if I get into the 40's or lower, I need a hit of sugar or carb, followed relatively quickly with a hit of protein or fat. That's the only thing that will avoid the RH roller coaster where I spike my sugar to recover, but then it bottoms out again. If I wasn't smart, and did what Mersh's doctor suggested, I'd have low after low after low.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/10/18 1:13 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I didn't mean that protein and fat would quickly bring up a tanked blood sugar, but that protein and fats were best for maintaining a stable number. It's the evil carbs that cause the highs and the crashes. Getting on the RH rollercoaster with carbs is no fun.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/18 2:59 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I have had my doctor a long time, all my life actually, but I feel like she has left me in the dark to fend for myself on this subject with only instructions of eating every two hours. My natural instinct is "Of course, she's the doctor" but I have only had 2 blood tests and I have no clue if she tested my A1C, or what it is if she did do it. I did leave a message and requested copies of both sets of blood work so I can see for myself. For now I will just stay the course I have been on since I had surgery and watch my levels myself for awhile before I jump on the eating every two hours train. I know for SURE I need a bit more fat in my diet regardless of anything else, I've done nonfat things most of my entire life (funny how I was still 485 lbs!) so that is my go-to train of thought.

stacyrg
on 7/11/18 11:08 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Gotcha. Then I don't disagree with you.

Amy R.
on 7/11/18 10:58 am

me too Stacy.

when mine drops to the point that I'm having trouble with my peripheral vision (usually in the very low 30's) I also have to use sugar/candy/etc to make sure I don't pass out before I can get to the protein and fat combo that is the ultimate cure. Like many, I've learned how much sugar is needed (surprise! it's less than I always thought it would be, haha!).

As I'm shoving that in my mouth I'm waiting for my best shot at getting to the protein/fat combo that will keep everything stabilized. Without passing out on the way to the kitchen. So I personally need both sugars and proteins if I don't want to be chasing more RH ad infinitum.

Also I've noticed that if I feel I may be in dumping territory eating a small amount of protein (peanut butter, cheese, even a bite or two of whatever protein leftovers we may have) can successfully cause the whole process to abort and save me a lot of grief.

This stuff is really hard to get a handle on and it changes. I've always dumped. Got RH starting in year three or so. For a long time, if I kept my sugars low enough to avoid dumping, I rarely had an RH episode. In other words, if I ate properly none of this would happen. I hung on to the hope that by/in year five the dumping etc would alleviate or go away completely.

But nope. Still in the same boat except now it doesn't take an excess of sugar to set things off. Certain carbs alone can do it. And both the RH and the dumping episodes are only worsening. So yeah.

Anyway, take care Mersh. You're doing so great I hate to think of you starting to develop any issue. But I've no doubt you'll get it all figured out.

Most Active