Surprise! Even Muscle and Fitness magazine promotes Carby diet for definition !

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/18 5:14 pm

A friend gave me a bunch of back issues of Muscle and Fitness magazine which I'd stopped reading for some years due to their ( then) pushing what I consider an unhealthy diet -the deliberate overeating of kidney -stressing protein large amounts of fat and the under-eating of healthy carbs.

I was astonished to discover that for at least a year they've done a total about-face and are now recommending a largely complex carb low-fat and moderate low fat protein source diet - even offering vegan recipes ! This, mind you for serious, even competitive gym-rat bodybuilders routinely working out with massive amounts of weights...

As I've posted many times here ( and been viciously criticized for doing so ) I've maintainted robust health and a defined body for many years with making low fat low sugar choices that include most of my calories coming from complex carbs . Jes saying ... my experience post WLS is I don't have to diet or excercise obsessively- I can eat what I like when I like and drink alcohol too and not gain weight.

Though I do eat restaurant food when I have to I try to cook at home and really very rarely eat fast food just because it makes me feel awful .

Enjoying rocking revealing summer wear - shorts of all lengths bikinis tank tops ... and remembering how I used to hide my body behind cardigans, sleeves and how rarely ( practically never) I let myself enjoy the beach or a pool party pre-op...

Grim_Traveller
on 7/15/18 5:22 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I used to work with competitive bodybuilders. They did indeed get their muscle definition from pure carbs.

They lifted heavy weights every day, on a mostly protein diet. Then they'd starve themselves for a few days, then pig out on pasta for a day before a competition. They looked great, but it was very temporary, and they were weak as kittens.

But mostly, they relied totally on protein.

I wouldn't give credence to diet advice from ANY magazine. And NONE of those diets are good choices for someone after WLS.

Good to see you around. How's the baby?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/15/18 8:16 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

>> I've maintained robust health and a defined body for many years with making low fat low sugar choices...

Plastic surgery certainly doesn't hurt with the "defined body" part :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

rocky513
on 7/16/18 5:06 am - WI

Most body builders have not had malabsorptive weight loss surgery. They have normal digestive systems. It would not be a great idea to follow that advice as a WLS patient.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/18 7:22 am

It's like comparing apples to oranges.

hollykim
on 7/16/18 6:48 am, edited 7/15/18 11:49 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 16, 2018 at 12:14 AM Pacific Time, quutgrrl wrote:

A friend gave me a bunch of back issues of Muscle and Fitness magazine which I?d stopped reading for some years due to their ( then) pushing what I consider an unhealthy diet -the deliberate overeating of kidney -stressing protein large amounts of fat and the under-eating of healthy carbs.

I was astonished to discover that for at least a year they?ve done a total about-face and are now recommending a largely complex carb low-fat and moderate low fat protein source diet - even offering vegan recipes ! This, mind you for serious, even competitive gym-rat bodybuilders routinely working out with massive amounts of weights...

As I?ve posted many times here ( and been viciously criticized for doing so ) I?ve maintainted robust health and a defined body for many years with making low fat low sugar choices that include most of my calories coming from complex carbs . Jes saying ... my experience post WLS is I don?t have to diet or excercise obsessively- I can eat what I like when I like and drink alcohol too and not gain weight.

Though I do eat restaurant food when I have to I try to cook at home and really very rarely eat fast food just because it makes me feel awful .

Enjoying rocking revealing summer wear - shorts of all lengths bikinis tank tops ... and remembering how I used to hide my body behind cardigans, sleeves and how rarely ( practically never) I let myself enjoy the beach or a pool party pre-op...

exactly how old were these back issue magazines,10 years ,more?

Have you had the baby yet?

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/18 3:38 pm

This years actually

The Salty Hag
on 7/16/18 7:58 am
RNY on 05/20/13

The only way that kind of diet would produce any kind of muscle definition in me would be a six pack from the tossing my cookies allll the time because of eating so many carbs...but it wouldn't be worth it. Between throwing up constantly and horrible/potentially dangerous RH-I'm going to take the "Nope" option.

This is not good advice for the vast majority post WLS people. The potential reward is not worth the risk.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/16/18 10:54 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Last I heard, you'd stopped drinking alcohol because you were pregnant with a little girl. What happened?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/18 3:49 pm, edited 7/16/18 8:51 am

Well my Mom has serious health issues so I decided to buy a condo near her to help.( been intensively traveling there Jan- June and this week need to pass a ridiculously demanding coop board interview halfway across the country ) . So the kid thing is a little bit on hold since it' s hard to be there for everyone including myself lol. It's a kid-free and pet free building so I'll have to move before .. but there's lots of time for that.

Am very seriously trying to do a semester in Art School before I head down to hook up with the ?rents ... but have a ton to accomplish before enrolling.

Finished the bathroom renovation on the NYC apartment and the marble kitchen floor - planning a kitchen wall removal , repainting the apartment in three colors and installing new cabinets while thrift shopping for slightly used deluxe commercial kitchen appliances . Not to mention tackling enough back paperwork to choke a horse . Not enough hours in the day !

(((Thanks for asking ))) so glad to hear you're all well and staying cool :)

Most Active