Fat Free Dairy ....yess :)

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/18 2:34 pm

I'm a huge fan and ff dairy eater. Whether it's skim chai lattes fat free cottage cheese fat free ricotta and fat free mozzarella for amazingly delicious lasagnas ...or just fat free American cheese slices for my ( largely nonfat)grilled hamburgers ( and great baked nonfat broccoli Mac and cheese) ... or even " philly" cheesteaks done with almost fat free grilled flank steak onions peppers and fat free cheese sauce ... gosh so yummy and :0 you don't wake up WEARING it !!! ...

i do have a hard time understanding why our well meaning doctors don't promote these amazing high protein products more . What do you think?

kamac
on 7/21/18 3:37 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

I'm not a fan of low/fat free dairy, as they tend to add more artificial fillers to make up for the fat they took out. Everyone is different though, and it's a matter of each person finding what works best for them, diet wise.

For myself, I didn't get fat eating full fat dairy like cheese or yogurt or milk. I got fat overeating sugar and processed, starchy carbs.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

PCBR
on 7/21/18 6:26 pm, edited 7/21/18 11:26 am

Same. A couple of low fat options are okay, but for a lot of traditionally fatty foods, I see ?fat-free? and I think ?chemical ****show. I am okay with Fairlife skim milk, but that's becaise the greater protein content gives it nicer texture.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

califsleevin
on 7/21/18 7:05 pm - CA

Basic dairy like milk and yogurt usually doesn't add anything to make up for the removed fat (hence the term "skim" milk.) Many don't like the watery consistency of skim milk on their cereal, but that isn't a problem for those in the low carb crowd. You do have to watch out for products that depend upon the fat for its fundamental texture or consistency, such as ice cream, sour cream, butter, whipped cream, etc., but such concerns apply to all such "frankenfoods" like low carb bread or pasta. For cheeses, the fat free types do depend upon some odd additives to make them work, but low fat cheeses usually work well, and as a bonus, they usually have more protein then their whole milk counterparts, so they can be a win-win for those on a bariatric diet, Indeed, when dealing with basic dairy, one needs to be careful about blindly doing "full fat everything" as that can lead to sometimes substantial protein shortfalls - there are some popular greek yogurts out there where the full fat variety has only 8 g of protein, vs. 22 g for the low or non fat versions, so it pays to read those labels.

I mostly use dairy fat as a means of painlessly adjusting my caloric intake, adding fat when my weight is low and reducing the fat when it is high - easy way to add or lose a couple hundred calories.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Melody P.
on 7/21/18 4:21 pm - Amarillo, TX

Not a fan myself. I'd rather get the vitamins from the natural source of regular milk. Honestly I don't drink milk but do full fat cheese when I want it. Fat free cheese grosses me out it resembles plastic.

To each their own!

MarinaGirl
on 7/21/18 10:24 pm
On July 21, 2018 at 9:34 PM Pacific Time, quutgrrl wrote:

I'm a huge fan and ff dairy eater. Whether it's skim chai lattes fat free cottage cheese fat free ricotta and fat free mozzarella for amazingly delicious lasagnas ...or just fat free American cheese slices for my ( largely nonfat)grilled hamburgers ( and great baked nonfat broccoli Mac and cheese) ... or even " philly" cheesteaks done with almost fat free grilled flank steak onions peppers and fat free cheese sauce ... gosh so yummy and :0 you don't wake up WEARING it !!! ...

i do have a hard time understanding why our well meaning doctors don't promote these amazing high protein products more . What do you think?

I think the food you mentioned sounds disgusting.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/23/18 6:59 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It sure tastes disgusting, and for someone who claims to eat organic/natural/clean, those are all highly processed frankenfoods. Theres nothing natural about them.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 7/23/18 7:57 am

I don't understand why someone would spend extra money on organic food and then supplement that with overly-processed dairy products. That does not make any sense to me.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/23/18 8:36 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I don't know why anybody would spend extra money on organic food, period. It's no more nutritious than "conventional" food, it's not pesticide-free, and it's not any better for the environment.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Ajeffries
on 7/21/18 11:36 pm
VSG on 01/27/16

Fat free dairy? Nasty tasting. I meet my macros with full fat dairy.